Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Division Is Not Divine

I recently got a letter from a person who resents the lack of attention paid to "gifted" students in the LPS system. It seems to this person that LPS's focuses too much on one population at the expense of the other. Sounds like a case of sibling rivalry to  me.

It's not my intention to come off too flip and not give this reader the credit her concerns warrant. Because "gifted" students are special needs students too. It's just that they are at the other end of the continuum They just don't have such a disruptive impact on the entire family

Having a special needs child myself and having come from an education system myself that never allowed me to develop my so-called "gifted" potential, I can empathize with both sides of thee argument. But you know what, it's the same argument. The only way to "win"  the argument is by not arguing.

We would have better use of our time by developing creative and innovative approaches to provide our students with a quality education and look to teachers not accountants, actuaries, and other number crunchers to lead us to educational salvation and the promised land.

No comments:

Post a Comment