Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Are They Following The "Watch"?

Maybe it's just me but I find it kind of funny that all of a sudden a number of education stories appear in the ITEM today. First there is the story about asbestos concerns and the Hadley School in Swampscott. I could tell you I have heard rumours of asbestos problems in some of Lynn's schools but I won't. As an earlier reader comment pointed out people are not interested in reporting they can read in the National Enquirer I have much higher journalistic standards I learned from watching Fox news. Fair and Balanced.

LVTI's $300,000 bio-tech grant got good coverage too Just everybody remember, that money is for materials and equipment. Hands Off. No Deputy money here!

There was another one but I forget it and I am not going to waste my time tracking it down.

Finally there was a little blurb buried deep in the paper about Special Education records before 2003 being destroyed after April 15. I know I am an undereducated hillbilly from WV and not savvy with all these big city ways and all, but do you think they have been watching my numbers explosion and realized people are interested in their kids education? Sometimes with this brain damage I get these delusions.

4 comments:

  1. Quick! We should do a records request! Oh wait - Dave Ellis tried that and it took the sped department eighty some odd days to finally get the records. Let see today is March 8th, so in eighty days it'll be *gets her calendar* May 27th. Which is after the April 15th destroy date. Guess we won't be seeing those...

    Actually that's kind of odd that they'd be destroying such recent records. Say you have an eleven year old fifth grader, who has a disability and was involved in Early Intervention (EI) since birth. At the age of three (which would have been in 2003) they would transition to the custody (I won't say "care") of the LPS. So are those child's EI files being destroyed? Next year will the LPS be destroying the 2004 files, and so on and so forth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard rumors of a new SPED audit. Funny timing, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Stanely,
    I think you should do a little investigative journalism into the conditions of our schools. Some of them as so run down or filthy I wouldn't want my dog educated in them. Maybe you could have your audience vote which schools are in the most deplorable condition. Have you been in any of them lately?Then maybe the Schoool Committee (oh, I just read they have no real power) or the Super would DO something about it. Just where IS all the $$$ going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to do a little digging, maybe I'll find some buried treasure. The treasure being $$$$.

    ReplyDelete