Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25, 2015

DAY IN THE LIFE

KHMER NEW YEAR FESTIVAL

FRIENDS OF HIGH ROCK TOWER

A lot of things were happening around Lynn today. My part-time photographer was moonlighting as CHOMPS for the NAVIGATORS today at a couple of LITTLE LEAGUE parades around Lynn today. To top that off my browser is having trouble receiving multimedia messages so even the crappy pic I took is not available right now.

On the way to my first stop this AM I ran into my old friend CEFERINO ROSA supervising some youth who were part of the citywide clean-up that 500 thing. It is heartwarming to see our youth being taught civic responsibility. We all need to be taught to have pride of place. How can you know where you are going if you don't have pride in where you are at?

Here goes a smooth transition to a rather rough patch. My first stop of the day was at a FRIENDS OF HIGH ROCK TOWER meeting at the library. While there I learned that LYNN had the FIRST public high school in the country in what is now the refurbished GIRLS INC.(Actually I may have heard this before and just forgot).  Probably in some archives stored in some basement closet there are records of some WATCH predecessor. History is so important.


Culture is important as well and since you can't learn what you already know, attending today's KHMER NEW YEAR celebration was clearly an edifying experience. Plus gladhanding with all those politicians out there seeking votes gives me a few political chips down the road. Although the last one I shook hands with, CITY COUNCILMAN HONG NET is probably my best friend and most responsible for organizing the festival. The first one I met was CITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT DAN CAHILL. MAYOR KENNEDY shook my hand as well dressed as she was in a borrowed pink ceremonial dress. BRENDAN CRIGHTON was there doing double duty as a CITY COUNCIL and as a STATE REPRESENTATIVE (so we shook hands twice). Though I never got to shake hands with him, I did get to listen to STATE SENATOR TOM MCGEE speak.

Now we come full circle, during our conversation this morning CEFERINO was telling me about his initial meeting with new LSC candidate JARED NICHOLSON who I just happened to run into at the KHMER festival. SMALL WORLD. Anyway JARED didn't talk to me in SPANISH like he did with CEPH (quite impressive) but he did promise to sit down sometime to discuss stuff. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment