Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

LIL' LORI GETS INTERPRETATION OF TRUTH ABOUT INTERPRETATION


I sent the following email to Dr. Latham and Maureen Horgan, the District Compliance Officer:

Good Afternoon Dr. Latham,

You have stated in the past, including at the last school committee meeting, that the district's policy regarding interpretation and translation services is that a 24 hour notice must be given by those requesting these services. However, I am unable to find that policy anywhere. Therefore, could you please tell me where I, and the parents who need and require these services, can find a copy of this policy?

Dr. Latham responded with the following:

"The Lynn Public Schools does not have a formal policy related to translation services. I never said that we do. We have procedures in place that are consistent with the law. You can review the procedures I described at the last School Committee meeting when the video is posted on our website."

Therefore, I sent the following response:

Thank you for your response. I was unable to find anything, even procedures that LPS has in place regarding these services. Where can I, and parents who need and require these services, find a copy of these procedures you have in place?

Needless to say, I never received another response. Most likely due to the fact that no such document exists. At least, none that I could find anywhere. Therefore, do these procedures really exist? Or do they only exist to Dr. Latham? I don't have an advanced degree like Dr. Latham, but I would think if a school district had procedures in place to help parents/guardians, those parents/guardians would have at least have access to those procedures so they are aware of their existence. Otherwise, what is the point of having said "procedures"?

No comments:

Post a Comment