Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

FORD SCHOOL FLOOR FALLOUT

Let me say this right up front.,I ain't no engineer. In fact when you combine my eyesight with my lack of coordination (not just hand-eye, my eyes are even coordinated with each other), I can't even hammer a nail straight. Darn thing keeps bending.

This FORD SCHOOL floor thing is getting more and more INTERESTING. Remember I told you that they are doing a trial run on one room over FEB, break? They're working on it as we speak (I mean read. You that is, I'm writing), a little mock-up on the make-up as it were. Here's where it starts getting interesting.

It's no secret, it's ASBESTOS. The reason they are trying out this type of REMEDIATION . You see I think they plan to cap the problem off with new tiles and polyurethane or some type of sealant. Kind of like if we close our eyes it will go away. Now there are industrial hygienists that this will work and it will be safe. I liken it to taking the monster your kids tell you about that's in their room and forcing it to stay under their bed.

Don'y worry it's safe......

BUT......

didn't that when they put the ASBESTOS in in the first place. That's the funny thing about learning, you find out sometimes you were wrong, DEAD WRONG.

You see if we don't bury our head in the sand there is a couple of problems. You see near as I can tell this ASBESTOS laced tile was put down without subflooring so the CONCRETE is contaminated.....

SO....

unless that means it would have to be removed and that would cause a host of PROBLEMS. They make you have to have licenses and certificates for ASBESTOS removal. That alone would be expensive and do I need to remind you I don't believe any MSBA reimbursement can be forthcoming because I don;t think they cover environmental waste. Waste not, want not (you can want all you want).

AN ADVANTAGE.....

of this BURIAL approach is they won't have to shut down the ENTIRE SCHOOL for an ENTIRE YEAR while they fix the problem, Yeah I said it , an ENTIRE YEAR. You think we have crowded classrooms now.

Okay that would be unbearable, unacceptable so I guess this cover-up, make-up modification looks like what we are stuck with, I mean going with.

I have to admit this tile patchwork does kind of have an APPALACHIAN feel to it. It's just like quilting.'

What no one is saying is say for argument's sake say this test run over break goes great and we decide to pull the trigger on doing the first and second floors over the summer.

That means there are going to be workers all over that building and exposure to HAZARDOUS materials. Since I don't believe LPS has enough kiddie sized hazmat suits there won't be any summer school at that building.

WHOA....

I am kind of involved up there being in the HIGHLANDS COALITION and all that community stuff. Is there a plan to service that oft-neglected community. Or are they going to be stingy with the contingencies.

TRUTH BE TOLD, why don't they tell the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment