Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

GED’S AIN’T FOR THE FREE, DON’T YOU SEE



Lately I have been coming into my BOSTON STREET BRANCH OFFICE and complaining about the prospect of LPS paying for GED classes because they feel the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ought to pay for this expenditure. Guess what? They already do, it’s called TITLE 1. There is a mandate for PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT. It is 10%

That’s currently about $600,000. How has this amount being spent? What programs are already in place? Maybe what we need is an independent audit.  That would be good because my arm is getting tired from lobbing information grenades. Sure, sometimes I use a flame thrower when a cigarette lighter would do, but hey I’m a POET that’s what I do.             

With a graduation rate hovering around 70%, LPS has to be adding somewhere near 300 new potential GED candidates a year. How many events during the year does any LPS school have that many people in attendance? Looks like the out-of-school activity is the biggest after activity, I mean with a FAILING school district I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Failure has no language barrier.

Why should we care? I mean if people get their GED’s, they would get better jobs, make more money getting off public assistance, food stamps, and all those other government freebies. Then our taxes would go down and I, for one, like paying taxes. .

Why should we care? I mean if people get their GED’s, they would get better jobs, make more money getting off public assistance, food stamps, and all those other government freebies. Then our taxes would go down and I, for one, like paying taxes. Yes, let’s keep those freeloaders right where they are (Oh, I forgot I don’t pay taxes, I’m one of the freeloaders).

The point is that by following a recipe for success LPS would be showing that education is important and we value it.                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment