Search This Blog

Monday, April 16, 2012

"MOUNTAINEERS ARE ALWAYS FREE", ESPECIALLY WITH THEIR I-PADS

I have a question. I was talking to an old school friend last night who teaches a SPED class of back in WEST "BY GOD" VIRGINIA, Harrison County Schools,  and she told me that she has TWO I-PADS she uses in her classroom. How do we measure up? She was blown away when I told her the size of our budget.

I was too embarrassed to tell her we don't have enough of basic supplies and that we don't have enough text books for our kids to take home. Many of the ones we do have are so old that some students find names of a mother's sister written inside.

Maybe I should have bragged about how we are so big that we have over 25 people making six- figures but then I remembered those I-PADS.

7 comments:

  1. I use an I pad in my classroom. Got it with a grant. I have a smart board too from LPS. Almost all the teachers do Want I pads ....there are so many sources out there to get them, point is we don't need all this stuff to teach, it is nice but it is not necessary. My students lose text books regularly what do you think would happen if I gave them lap tops or iPads to bring home....I shutter to think. It costs about $15000 to get a class of kids going on iPads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of kids don't get to take their books home, why do you think they would get to take home an I-PAD? Besides every class having a couple would be a good start.

      Delete
    2. Speaking as a parent whose son has lost a book, I know you don't get the student's report card until you reimburse LPS.

      Delete
  2. For all those teachers out there, if you are looking for supplies try DonorsChoose.org, I have had two projects funded. It is easy and free! I have a project on there now that is halfway there! Hoping to have it up and running by fall. Mountaineers are always free, and also frugal! It's all about the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole idea of having an iPad Is that students download their books on to it, thus eliminating the weight but not the price of books...doing their work on it and communicating with theirnteachersnfrom it..social networking if you will call it that.,,again you "informed parents" are clueless !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you are the one who is clueless if you think the advantage of the I-PAD is limited to the weight of the text.

      Delete
  4. No I use my iPad for almost everything my laptop can do. But the point it. They are not needed. At least we are not ready for them yet. What is needed is kids who show up on time. Who don't sleep in class. Whose parents are involved who don't fail their major subjects who read who know their multiplication tables. Who speak English. Etc

    ReplyDelete