Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

HOMELESS FOR THE HOLIDAYS

This little tidbit from Thurs. night's LSC meeting should really perk the interest of my BFF. She's passionate about the McKinney-Vento Act (I'm sure I spelled that wrong but I don't care) and how it applies to our homeless kids.

Let me see if I can summarize it for you but you'll have to excuse me I'm not real big on book learnin. I think it states - if a family becomes homeless and is put up in a shelter or MOTEL out of the school district then the child would have the option of attending school in that district or his old district. If the child wants to go to school in the new district the cost is on them.

BUT....

If the child wants to stay in their old school district (where their friends are) the both the new and the old district share the transportation expense. LPS is crying because this is an UNFUNDED MANDATE, there are no CIRCUIT BREAKERS, like in my recent post. LPS is currently shelling out about $190,000 a year in transportation costs. A lot of money to be sure.

Citing an argument put forth by our own Honorable Mayor, from what DR. LATHAM was saying that the State DOE now agrees with her. Cathe couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She claimed that was illegal and they can't do it. Well I seem to remember that happening a lot in the last presidential administration so I wouldn't be making expensive dinner reservations yet. Instead we get all these new administrative positions and the support staff that goes along with them. MERRY CHRISTMAS

1 comment:

  1. The Children's Law Center is a great resource to help with our homeless children. They have great information and can offer guidance and advocacy for homeless families.

    ReplyDelete