Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

LIL'LORI LEARNS HOW THE CROW FLIES

Look at the commotion LIL'LORI is causing now!

I put a public request in with the city clerk asking for a copy of all the public notices for all the school council meetings that all the schools sent her for school year 2012-2013. Now I know from my public records request I sent to Dr Latham that 16 of the schools don't have meetings because they could not produce any minutes from any meeting. So you can understand my surprise when I received a letter from Janet Rowe stating I would have to pay $30 something dollars for the 1 hour of research it took and the 97 copies they have for my request. There is no way they have 97 copies of public notices for the school council meetings when 16 of our schools are not even having meetings. I have no idea what these 97 copies actually consist of. Perhaps she misunderstood what I was requesting??

I don't know my history all that well and gosh darn I'm not as smart as all them there learnted fellas but isn't that kind of like how they tried to DISCRIMINATE certain people from participating in government by trying to put up monetary barriers?

I am sure if the meetings were posted as required by law. they are on a hard drive somewhere and could be pulled up in a matter of minutes and programed to print automaticaally. The $30 cost is probably just the price needed to overcome discouragement.



10 comments:

  1. Why do,you do this? What will you gain from this? I could do the same but really of what purpose? Put your energies to work where you can make a difference. Volunteer to tutor, hug someone, work at my brother s table....come on...your efforts are quite laughable if they were so burdensome. You know there will be no measurable outcome. You seem to get pleasure out of ambling the DESE come down with some decree on LPS that doesn't do a thing except allow you to,post that they Te coming down with a decree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugging someone is what got me married four times.

      Delete
  2. The $30 is the cost of labor and copies. What have you accomplished in all these quests?? Nothing except making yourself be able to gloat for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following this line if logic maybe we should start charging for the paper the ballots are promted om and well the ballots don't count themselves.But then again what do we pay taxes for?

      Delete
  3. Charging me $38.14 doesn't bother me at all. Many organizations charge a fee for public record requests. What surprised me and what I find difficult to believe is the fact that it states there are 97 pages. As most of us know, 16 of our schools did not even hold a school council meeting during the entire school year. I know this because they could not and did not provide any copies of any minutes from any meeting. Also, on the city of Lynn website, there are only copies of the school council public notices for I believe 4 schools. Therefore, I find it very hard to believe that there are 97 pages of school council meeting public notices for the 2012-2013 school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spoke to Ms. Rowe and it sounded like there may have been a misunderstanding and the clerk did copy more information than what was requested. Since the work has already been done, she did offer for me to come in and view the pages to see if they contain the specific information I was looking for and I accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went and viewed the recods today. There was a misunderstanding about what it was I was requesting because they made copies of everything.....school committee meetings, public hearings, sub-committee meetings, etc. I feel bad because it clearly took a lot of time to go through all those records and make all those copies. As for the school council meetings, it still remains that only 4 schools out of 25 followed the open meeting law requirement of posting the notice at least 48 hours in advance (Lincoln-Thompson, Marshall, Ingalls and Ford). I hope this administration and school committe takes this matter seriously. Otherwise, there will be countless complaints filed with the DESE and AGO for all these violations of the law!

    ReplyDelete