Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DEBATE.....SO HERE IS POSITION ONE

Since fbere is ten days until the debate I figure I need to put out ten points to ponder. Ya can't guar-an-tee those LCA people are going to get around to covering everything. There are these time limits and some people got jobs to git to. So I thought I'd offer up some positions for pontificating.

1). LEVERAGE - We need it!  No I'm not talking about high finance or moving no boulder. I mean maybe I could but I'm not. Actually I'm talking about taking advantage of community resources to maximize our enhance our kid's learning and maximize our educational dollar/ We have done that some, for example we partook of the NORTH SHORE NAVIGATOR'S generosity and gave our FIFTH GRADERS a special day that  served as a nice MOVING UP momento. I would like to see our EIGTH GRADERS join in the celebration. The inspiration for furthering their education by watching these college kids, many of them from around here, could be an invaluable example for our kids.

Then there was that MUSEUM program that we failed to take advantage of. Lynn has such rich history and how are you going to teach personal self esteem when we don't practice comminity self esteem. We didn't get to be a city of firsts by keeping history last.

I have been noticing that the LYNN PUBLIC LIBRARY has been becoming increasingly aggressive in a good way in putting the programs they have available out there. We need stronger coordination with them to make sure we are getting the most out of the available resources. They have a GREAT on-line prescence and LPS could learn much from their example.

CENTERBOARD is falling all over themselves to push books and reading. We need to make sure their efforts are coordinateed with ours. Of course, I want our school linraries back but we seem to have people wanting to make the best of a bad situation. We need to help them kelp us.

I am sure there are many other examples out there where help is available. Money from outside sources is nice but engagement is better. When people or programs have a little skin in the game, it makes for a better game. A better game only benefits our players.

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas....The problem is LPS doesn't like to involve or be involved with the community. Unless the election is successful by getting rid of at least one member (Gallo,Ford or Capano) which in turn will allow for the non-renewal of Latham's contract, things will never change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can happen. Spirito is a perfect example. He never expected to lose. Although Gallo has been much worse.

    ReplyDelete