Search This Blog

Thursday, July 18, 2013

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DEBATES.......SO, HERE IS POSITION FIVE

ACCOUNTABILITY - WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND THIS

It is a well known fact that I am no good at math. I mean, it was by far my weakest subject in school, There is no way I can compete with all those smart people in that area. CHEMISTRY was my best subject in school so like everyone, I follow the old adage...."YOU GO WITH WHAT YOU KNOW!".

So I try and breakdown all of these financial decisions to the simplest elements of the transation so it's likea chemical REACTION. That means when you mix together a couple of elements or compounds and that yields a SOLUTION. Hey that is what we want, right? A solution.

Not so fast, MR. WIZARD. (funny, some people used to call me that in college)

Sometimes when you mix togethercompounds together in a solution, you not only get one new product but something else precipitates out. Such is the case with all of this RACE TO THE TOP - WRAP AROUND malarkey.

So after apparentlly wasting a lot of money and a trip to TENNESSEE we have come up with an ARIZONA/COLORADO hybrid that will be a wicked expensive one to implement and we only have a years worth of grant funding to implement. After that the taxpayers pick up the check. In this case the precipitate is not discarded, it sticks around.

Now we have had a pure solution in the past, the community school model at FORD SCHOOL. It's been around for over TWENTY years, costing us SQUAT extra. Now though, that's probably going to change with the well deserved retirement  of DR. CRANE. I sure hope the community  is engaged going forward lest there is an eruption of public sentiment.

REMEMBER WHEN IN THE LAB, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GOGGLES.

SAFTEY FIRST!

3 comments:

  1. Oh but it does cost you. the students receive less services, less teacher time, less attention. Title 1 money pays for those night school teacher s salaries when it could have been paying for reading teachers for the students and math coaches and a host of other service that other schools have. The Community School isn't free my friend....it actually takes away .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a teacher at Ford School. Yes having students from other schools come and read to our students or our students going to their schools is a treat BUT not every week. That is a disruption and it doesn't help the kids educationally at all. Not everyone gets to go...if I did the same stuff in my classroom all the students would benefit and the travel time would be instructional time. what I M left with is half a class so therefore I can't do much of substance. there are pros and cons to this and as far as you being a volunteer librarian. if a nurse had a volunteer she may be ok at taking my blood pressure but I sure wouldn't want her taking blood...if my tax guy had a volunteer he may be ok at checking the math but I sure wouldn't want him figuring out my deductions... Get it? Oh yeah, I teach night school too and that is a nice check at the end of the year so if it doesn't cost anything where does that $$$$ come from? A lot of schools use that to enhance student learning that's why schools don't have night classes for parents, principals would rather put it toward students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tour a teacher at Ford teachinf night schooland I am the Pope. Even though I ammostly a poet, I can wriye Fiction too. I do believe part of the night school's yeacher were paid with non-LPS money. I am glad you think real librarians are so imporrtamt, so do I. But hardly see where having a volunteer is worse than having none.You're welcome anyway.

      Delete