Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

FOCUS ON DIET

I was out campaigning and getting signatures  this morning and the first question I got was "What are you passionate about?" I admit I wasn't really prepared for the question.Oh, I responded alright. I said Uh, READING, yeah I'd like to see, uh the libraries back."

Yeah, easy answer but what did this lady expect, I just wanted her signature to get on the ballot. Stil it was a really great question because it caused me to focus, crystallize my position. I reflected on why reading is important/ Good reading leads to good writing, at least that's what my teachers used to say.

A lot of people underestimate the power of the written word. We do so at our own peril and that's why our educational ranking has slipped on the world's stage. The brain can not live on a vegetarian diet of STEM alone. With plenty of readin we learn to say and write what we want, what we need.

8 comments:

  1. So you've basically just admitted that you're running with no platform and no real vision for the Lynn Public School system. Nice candidate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another anonymous voice in the crowd whose words mean absolutely nothing. Come back and post again when you grow a backbone and actually leave your real name(or would Cathy Latham not like or approve that)

      Delete
  2. If that's what floats your boat go with it, I'm just not capable of your degree of sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inappropriate ...sometimes people just don't want to be identified ... The message there was quite clear, what is your platform, your passion specifically...what can you offer... Apparently not thought out !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - post is about someone asking you what you're passionate about and then you admitting that you stumbled to an answer. So you're running for school committee with no platform & no solutions is what this reads like.... if you have a platform let's hear unless you're just running just 'cuz. You go on the people running for ward councilor and you can read all about why they're running and what they're plans on. Couldn't consider voting for someone with no clear planss...

      Delete
    2. Would you rather he write up a nice BS bio full of what he thinks the residents of Lynn want to hear just so he gets elected? Then once he is elected,he can have zero follow through on everything he wrote in his marvelous bio(just like many of the other candidates who have been elected or are currently running)Would this make you happy Anonymous?Then I say go for it Stanley!

      Delete
    3. No, I would rather a candidate not explain at all why he's running and not respect the people he's asking to vote for them enough to even develop a platform or clarify as to what he actually hopes to accomplish if elected.

      Further once elected, I would LOVE a committee member who proposes no new initiatives but just votess 'NO' in direct opposition to the superintendent at every turn. While this will certainly do nothing to improve the educational quality of LPS (that's not tje real goal anyway LMAO!), at least he'll be able to stick one to Latham.

      Yup exactly what I want. OK Great voting for STan :)

      Delete
    4. Oh I don't know what I am passionate about? Give me a break, obviously you have trouble reading or developing an intelligent assessment yourself. I am not out to get LATHAM as pleasureable as that might sound. She has a contract and you just can't fire her without cause unless you want to pay. There has been enough questionable financial decisions. Right now, we need to encourage her to make the right ones.

      Delete