Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What Better Place To Learn To Vote?

Lynn group fights for Ford School polling

This story interests me for a couple of reasons. How can there be security concerns only at Ford School? I mean they allow voting at English, Shoemaker, and Sisson. If safety is a concern why are we putting those students at risk? Are they saying that poor, minority kids need more stringent protection?Voting occuring in a school is an important lesson in civics. Streams of citizens passing by provide for an education in democracy that textbooks can't provide.

The second reason this story interests me is the ADA angle. It infuriates me that a perversion of the regulations was used to gerrymander this district. Plus, city government is trying to put a price-tag on our civil liberties. I think MCAS still covers history, maybe some people ought to study up on it before they pass judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment