Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's All In How You Look At It

My son got two hits and scored two runs last night in his Little League game. I'm sure you're thinking, "That's nice, but what does that have to do with schools? I think you're just trying to plug  your son."

You are partially right and completely wrong. I am proud of my son's accomplishments like most parents but more and more the burden for our children's development has fallen upon our schools. The better coordination we have between what may be considered non-school related extracurricular activities and our schools only makes for a better well rounded child. I would venture a guess that the better rounded a student is the better their test scores. I am getting precariously close to sounding like a "math" person. Someone, please rescue me from the dark side.

Another interesting thing was how one of the coaches was lamenting the fact that it was the first night game in Lynn (I expect for the season) and that there was no media coverage (he didn't know who I was and what I do). What this coach is pointing out is that we are living in a society that concentrates too much on our opportunities for failure and does not place enough value on what we have accomplished. Of course, then we can debate the definition of just what an "accomplishment" is, but that's another slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment