Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

SOMEBODY SMARTER THAN ME OUGHT TO BE LOOKING AT THIS YESTERDAY

I just saw the MOST INTERESTING segment on 60 Minutes and it got me to thinking, well wondering more specifically. You see it was about

Khan Academy

   
and I heard that important word:   FREE  and since BILL GATES along with the minds of GOOGLE are invested in this program I don't know we aren't all over it. Especially since and it hurts me to say this it is primarily starting out in the MATH field and it is that key thing they look for: DATA DRIVEN.

Did I FORGET to mention it is:

F R E E !



9 comments:

  1. Well it is used int he Lynn Public Schools, the math dept at my school uses it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right. I do know 5 schools were trying out a First in Math program brought to DR. LATHAM's attention by her daughter. That particulr program had fantastic results.

      Delete
    2. I do think you are probably confusing programs though.

      Delete
  2. I use it in my 5th grade class and my GED classes I teach. Have used it for about 2 years. It is a very good program with much more than math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed a Chemistry program that made my heart flutter.

      I will definitely bring it up in OPEN MIKE.

      Delete
  3. Don't make stupid statement , Khan Academy is well know and has been used by LPS teachers for years, nothing new here Stanley except that youa re new to the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one has said ANYTHING about it at the School Committee meetings the last three years, Must be a STEALTH tool.

      Delete
  4. I think this is the program that my daughter spoke to me about last year, they used it in her class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one ever talked about it at school committee meetings. That doesn't mean it wasn't used. Dr. Latham's daughter I think suggested a program that was used quite success. It was called FIRST IN MATH and it was piloted in 5 schools. It was competitive and the kids worked on it at home, in class, anywhere there was a computer. Everybody loved it. I don't think it was the same actual thing but the same concept. The future of education is on-line.

      Delete