Search This Blog

Friday, November 22, 2013

OUCH! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WENT THERE.

Here I was already to play nice. I went to the SCHOOL COUNCIL meeting at LYNN ENGLISH and I got all this useful information to pass on and then there was that firm handshake from MR. STRANGIE. In my defense I was still too hungover from that spread they had put over at the previous night's SCHOOL COUNCIL meeting at LVTI. For future reference for all of those people interested in bribing me, PASTRY IS MY PRICE!

Anyway a parent on the council asked the question, "Why is CLASSICAL a LEVEL 1 school and ENGLISH a LEVEL 3?" We had just heard a recounting of all the wonderful programs available at that school. Looking like he was choosing his words very carefully (Surely it was sincere trepidation and not because I was observing.), MR. STRANGIE went on to delicately explain that he thought it was because of the high concentration of LATINO students at ENGLISH versus the high concentration of ASIAN students at CLASSICAL. He went on to differentiate that it was a cultural thing involving the value placed on EDUCATION. The perception of extended Christmas vacations and the dropping out of some students to work in landscaping in the spring were reiterated.

Well, my conscious is a little clearer now that I got that out there. I mean, he probably meant no harm or disrespect by bringing that stuff up. Still, he did and I think I need to go take a shower after writing about it.

10 comments:

  1. I honestly cannot believe this guy is actually a principal, never mind a principal in a large urban district like Lynn. I believe one of the reasons Classical is a level 1 and English is level 3 is due to the leadership at the schools. Not that I expect Mr. Strangie to admit that. As for the school council, membership "should be broadly representative of the racial and ethnic diversity of the school building and community."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you honestly believe what he says that would be all the more reason to have a representative council. It is true that there are different cultures but having your head in the sand diesn'y change things. Ostriches are notoriously slow learners.

      Delete
  2. I will ask again, since my last was deleted...do you infer that he is incorrect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classical has about 1528 students. Roughly 12.6% of these students are Asian and 43.5% are Hispanic. English has about 1653 students. Roughly 10.5% of these students are Asian and 49% are Hispanic. Here's some data regarding the two schools....What do you think?

      http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/accountability/report/school.aspx?linkid=31&orgcode=01630505&orgtypecode=6&

      http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/accountability/report/school.aspx?linkid=31&orgcode=01630510&orgtypecode=6&

      http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=01630510&orgtypecode=6&

      http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/mcas/achievement_level.aspx?linkid=32&orgcode=01630505&orgtypecode=6&

      Delete
  3. It wasn't me that did no deleting. I love a good laugh. You see, there are separate issues at work bhere. Whether he is correct or not, he shouldn't have said what he said. Schools are institutions of leaning, you need to CREATE (teach) a NEW culture,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan, To be honest yourself, you should be wearing a sticker at all times that says 'Media' . Posting comments others make can make you liable for slander. I hope you have bloggers insurance. They sell it.

    Regarding the comment. It was ignorant and unmerited, but it is ignorant and hurtful to spread it.

    It was a Level 3 comment made by a Level 3 leader.

    In order to fix this school all adults should start acting Level 1. We need role models not nonsense.

    Act above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I learned back in college when the ABC World News reporter, Peter Lance ( I think he won an Emmy), addressed my political science class that the truth allways protects you. Like many TV journalists, he was also a lawyer. Anyway with all the attention this post has gotten, not ONE person has said it was NOT true.

      Delete
  5. It is only slander if it is not true. If Mr. Strangie did in fact make this comment, then Stan reporting it is not slander. I could not agree more with your statement, "It was a Level 3 comment made by a Level 3 leader" As Ms. Damico stated above, one of the reasons Classical is a level 1 and English is level 3 is due to the leadership at the schools.

    ReplyDelete