Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

LIL' LORI LETS ME KNOW THE GOINGS ON OF WHAT'S GOING ON


  • Remember the family engagement policies that the district and every title one school in the district is required to have? I have been trying for weeks to get the district to inform me where parents and the community can access these. Well it took submitting an official public records request and contact with the DESE, but I finally received a response from Dr. Latham. If I wanted all the information I was requesting, I would be charged "a reasonable copy and labor fee" Therefore, I had to modify my request. I ended up only requesting the family engagement policies for 5 schools (Fallon, Washington, English, Sewell-Anderson, and Fecteau-Leary) Dr. Latham did not make copies and mail these to me, she actually emailed these policies to me, which makes me wonder why the policies for all the schools are not available to parents and the community online? Anyways, all the policies were pretty much what I expected (poorly written with similar vague language) but it was very interesting that they all mentioned their school council as a way for parents to be involved. This looks wonderful on paper and sounds wonderful in an official school policy, but the problem is all 5 of these schools are in violation of the law pertaining to school councils and they are just a small sample of the schools in our district that violate this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment