Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

STAND-INS TREATED LIKE SUCKERS

Out talking to people today who will soon enough be my constituents, I heard an interesting and troubling statement. I was going wait until my annual budget breakdown but this was too upset to wait. It kind of explains the tendency to see a lot of uncertified long term subs. It seems that subs are paid about 1/3 of what regular teachers are. This presents a lot of interesting dilemmas.

Often you get what you pay for. If you want professionals, you got to pay them like professionals. Being a teacher is hard enough of a profession without being a sub. I am speaking as a kid, we loved to have substitutes. It was like a game to see how much we could get away with and I was a good kid, I was If anything subs ought to get more. Call it hazardous duty pay.


2 comments:

  1. You said it..you,get what you pay for...make up your mind...if you believe in that statement you should not be complaining about highly paid administrators and principals. Subs are subs ans lynn pays more than a lot of places.. Let' s see we will pay the subs more and forget about all those other highly qualified people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah grasshopper you miss understand me. I have nothing against high pay for anyone who earns it. Let's look at the results of those highly qualified people. Hmm, we are near the bottom of MCAS scores throughout the state unless you count being at the top oof some arbitrary artificial cluster of like failures. Diplomas don't come with an asterik. I say pay where our kids are, pay our administrators more but have less and demand more.

    ReplyDelete