Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

HISTORY HAS A WAY OF REPEATING ITSELF AND LPS HAS A HISTORY OF WASTING MONEY

Boy, did I learn something crazy tonight. You know how I've been harping about wasteful spending on busing kids. I don't think LPS ought to be spending money when there is a cheaper way. Now we are about to ask the taxpayers to finance 15 to 20 million dollars or so to build a much needed new middle school named after me, a wing anyway (I just threw that last part in). We need to set an example of fiscal responsibility.

ANYWAY.....

So the MUSEUM has set up this third grade curriculum, offered to PAY for busing and only is charging ONE dollar. Do you know you can barely ride my CAMPAIGN BUS for that.

I was asked if I knew if the schools had to raise their own money for field trips. Well they don't show me all the financial documents but I said I;m pretty sure there are ways they could come up with it. After all, we do have a chairperson pretty good at juggling.

"Why do you ask?", I asked myself.

Well I didn't have to wait long for an answer. You see, NO ONE has taken them up on this generous offer. That's right NO ONE. Oh one class said they would come but CANCELLED..

Not only is this an example of LPS not leveraging the community's willingness to maximize our students educational opportunities, but HISTORY is LAST in a CITY OF FIRSTS.

SORRY.....

it's just not on the MCAS. It just doesn't ADD up.

8 comments:

  1. Field trips are a lot of work - you lose a whole day of school evolving the time around them. They take a lot of organization, planning, letters from parents, permission slips, volunteer chaperones. Why can't the museum bring items and go to the school? If you are going to lose a day on a field trip, is the Lynn Museum the best option of places to go? Great for summer camp on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the problem is, people forget from where they came. Much like you I would suspect in your cushy little office up on Commercial Street. I would venture to say publicly you never read this BLOG but consider it required reading for others.

      Education is not just about learning the material in front of you but instilling a hunger to devour additional knowledge that's not just on the menu but in the kitchen cabinets as well.

      Let me guess, you are one of those administrators who ignore the logistical nightmare surrounding busing 5 year olds daily across town. Yet you extol the various hindrances of busing kids twice that age for a single day on somebody else's dime. WHAT HYPOCRISY!

      Delete
  2. The museum is boring dude ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no logistical night,are concerned with busing kindergarten kids unless u create it....thousands of kids do it every day. They get on and get off . Parents should be happy their kids will be in an environ,ent created for early learning experiences, all together , all the best materials available for all to share. Makes perfect sense .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, really? Lol. Of those thousands of kids, can you tell me how many of those are five year olds filling a forty or fifty seat bus? Uh.....I'm waiting. I don't believe it's EVER been done in LYNN before. I bet you worked your way through GRAD school selling USED cars or kitchen utensils door to door.

      Delete
    2. Just because it hasn't been done in Lynn before, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.There are millions of little kids,even 5 year olds,around the US that take a bus to and from school every day,particularly in rural areas.It's really no big deal at all.If the parents want to change the minds of the committee,they better come up with better reasons than kids taking a bus.

      Delete
    3. Ga, Ha Ha. Where do you think I am from? I've mentioned a time or two before I went to school in WV. Last I heard they considered the mountains pretty rural, at least that's what all my cousins say. I don't reckon I recall one of those big yeller buses chocked full of five year olds.

      Delete
  4. Bussing the youngest children because the million dollar salaries can't be bothered to devise a long term plan for this city highlights how our school system deters families from buying homes here.... Bussing children to the local and very interesting museum to learn about our collective history highlights the complete lack of respect of the administration to the citizens.

    ReplyDelete