Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2013

IS LATHAM ONE OF US NOW?

Just came from a HIGHLANDS COALITION meeting where a lot of the same old things were discussed, specifically restoring FORD SCHOOL as a polling place. Of course, the politicians there and there were a few, pointed to the fact that the polling place was determined not to be compliant with ADA and that was a reason for not returning it there/

People present questioned how a school could be considered ADA compliant as a school but not as a polling place. As usual politicians stay away from corners lest someone had a paint brush. This has been a ten year battle with NO results and little hope for progress.

BUT NOW......

the people of the HIGHLANDS may have found an unsuspecting ally in......

DR. LATHAM.....

yes, I did not stutter. THIS IS NOT A TYPO. I had an EPIPHANY when talking tonight with COUNCIL PRESIDENT PHELAN.

We were talking about how renovations over a certain dollar amount triggered that the entire building has to be made ADA compliant. Now the scenario I am about to present is pure speculation, I have NO inside info and I am not trying to pass myself as a legal expert. No I am just a poet, a disabled one at that.

You see this summer when they are doing some pretty significant renovation (I did not say anything about ASBESTOS remediation) to the floors. New tiles to SEAL THE DEAL.

ANYWHO....

I bet there is a good chance this work is going to be so costly such that it will trigger mandatory ADA compliance for the whole building.

For this my fellow HICO brethren owe a huge debt of gratitude yo the good doctor. That will be one argument that will be taken away soon.

Thanks CATHE for joining our team!

No comments:

Post a Comment