Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A MANUFACTURED CRISIS?

Let's just throw it out there. How much of this overcrowding problem is the due to a sudden influx of an immigrant population and how much is due to poor decision making regarding the closing of schools? If we hadn't closed the schools we had, I'd venture to say we could have handled the population increase, a lot better.

Some people say there were political reasons behind some of the closings. I don't know, I'm a POET, not a mind reader. You all can make up your own minds.

All I know there are expenses both in closing and opening schools and it is not a decision to be taken lightly. Unless I've looked at those numbers wrong, after all I am a POET, we have NEVER had money to throw around.

6 comments:

  1. What year was the last school closed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the FORD ANNEX was closed in 2010 and I know there was a NEAR revenue neutral proposal to keep it open.

      Delete
  2. I meant elementary school - that is where the crisis is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there have been others in this administration, Washington, Fallon?

      But the problem is at the middle schools too. I mean both MARSHALL and BREED are overcrowded now. When you add the problems at the elementary schools that paints a scary picture.

      Delete
  3. Well kids from the Highlands being bused to Bennett Street in Ward 6 made no sense - especially since your argument against KIPP involves busing kids from other wards to the Highlands! Maybe that Ford Annex building should have serviced kids in that neighborhood! It is inadequate building no matter what for a school. Lynn needs new modern buildings with proper lighting, air quality and equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we are re-opening Fallon School because it was closed when it should not have been and the MSBA was not happy that they gave us money for the school and then we closed it. Needless to say, the superintendent was given the choice to either re-open it, or pay back the MSBA a significant amount of money. Yet another costly decision made by an inexperienced superintendent!

    ReplyDelete