Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

SOMETIMES IT'S THE SIZE OF THE PIE, NOT JUST THE NUMBER OF THE SLICES

When I hear about all the SHADY things going on in LPS, I just shake my head. It is painful, I don't just mean metaphorically, I have mad arthritis in my neck so I am talking literally too. I've learned of a 17 student SPED class that by law is supposed to be capped at 12.

So we throw another aide in the room and reduce those ratios (there is that MATH stuff again) and the problem is theoretically solved. The only problem, it's a BAD theory.

I won't even go into the debate about one-on-one versus classroom aide. That's kind of like asking if splitting hairs counts as a hair-cut.

I would argue that the size limit has to do with limitations on stimulation than just a student per teacher thing Then again, what do I know, I am just a POOR, DISABLED POET.

4 comments:

  1. and lets see if those special ed teachers are actually certified to teach special ed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always check on new hires every LSC meeting and the number of uncertified people we hire is alarming

      Delete
  2. when you see a principal moving a classroom next to her office because the teacher can't handle the class and the teacher isn't certified to teach special ed for one thing and the aides are seen dragging the kids back into class because they are trying to escape the room ...You have a major problem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like to shed some light on that problem. I believe we are talking about the school with the CHRISTMASLIKE name. I have other hats I wear.

      Delete