Search This Blog

Monday, March 26, 2012

WHO SHOULD VOLUNTEER , WHO SHOULD BE ABLE, AND WHY ON BOTH COUNTS

The answer to the first question is easy - EVERYBODY. Now I know people got to work to put food on the table. I appreciate that because I love to eat. I know between overtime and maybe working two or three jobs time is precious. I used to do all that.

Still a person has to give something of oneself to complete oneself. Giving helps one appreciate what they get and allows the ones receiving to have more than they have ,a win-win situation.

How could any organization deny the offer of a volunteer? That's what I hear LPS has done just that. Certain people have been told their offer is not welcome because they may have said less than flattering things in the newspaper. That is outrageous - we are denied the benefit of FREE teaching just because of bruised egos?

This administration has a record of not appreciating volunteers. I speak from personal experience - ie., my stint in the LIBRARY at FORD. When it was learned that I would be replaced by a REAL librarian, instead of thanking me for a year of volunteering my time, DR. LATHAM then belittled the importance of my contribution by saying the principal should have chosen to hire a READING TEACHER over a librarian. THE DATA BARES IT OUT, she said.

Maybe she was right, but why would she try and convince me at that time. I just had given up a sizable portion of my life for what I thought was the right.Belittling the significance is not how you foster future friendliness. The DOC has a PEOPLE PROBLEM. The rumblings I heard were not people carrying cards.

Then to try and say the UNIONS won't allow VOLUNTEERS is to "sell the unions short" and giving the members credit, sure they want to protect their jobs but they care for the people they serve. LIFE IS A BALANCING ACT.

13 comments:

  1. Well as a parent who has a child in LPS (which lets not forget is one of the lowest districts in the state) I would welcome anyone who wants to volunteer to work in our libraries, since many of our schools do not have a librarian (to my knowledge anyway) But...having volunteers makes too much sense. This administration doesn't like it when things actually make sense!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr wortring , your volunteer effort was noble but you did not replace the librarian. Did you teach classes? Did you have an budget to buy curriculum related materials, did you use the automated system to,track circulation, did you do mapping to find weak areas and used areas? No you sat in a chair and wrote dates on book card which hasn't been done in 10 years or more in libraries. Volunteers are nice but they are not trained professionals and they give the perception that trained professionals are not needed. If kids can't read libraries don't really help, reading teachers reach more kids in more important ways...not that I don't love librarians but let's face it we need the most bang for our buck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish you ADMINISTRATION people would leave your name, unless you are ashamed of your position. It doesn't surprise me you missed the point of the post since you couldn't even spell my name right. Seems like you have a reading problem since my name is spelled CORRECTLY on the mast of this blog. If you have been following my BLOG and I'm sure you have by your intimate
      knowledge of my lack of abilities. If I am reading you right although I never had a reading teacher you are basically saying volunteers aren't needed because they get in the way of TRAINED PROFESSIONALS that you DON'T have.

      Delete
    2. I too am a bit confused by the response from Anonymous, which I agree is someone from administration. I always find it quite interesting and amusing that they so boldly express their opinions, yet are never bold enough to leave their name. Are you saying it's better to have no one helping out in the libraries than to have someone who is willing to volunteer their time to help the kids? As for reading teachers....I agree they are very important IF they are utilized correctly and EVERY student who needs the extra help actually receives it. This does not happen in LPS! If it did, we would not be failing! In addition, it is difficult for any teacher to try to help and teach the children when they do not have adequate resources to do so, like a textbook for example. How Dr. Latham, you, or anyone else from adminstration can sit there and wonder how or why the kids, our schools and district are failing when there are classrooms that do not even have textbooks for the kids is just beyond me!! If we ever want our schools and district to improve, we need to start replacing our top administrators who lack the necessary qualifications to make good sound decisions that benefit our schools, teachers and children. As in any organization, good leadership and example setting starts at the top and we just do not have that!! Visit the DOE website (or even a classroom) the facts speak for themselves.

      Delete
    3. Wow. This man rearranged his schedule in order to volunteer at the library and all you can do is try to belittle what he did? You say that volunteers are nice but they are not trained professional; well, sometimes there are no trained professionals available and parents/volunteers are the only game in town. I think we should be grateful for anyone who gives up their time to help the kids out. They are doing if in the best interests of the children. Sometimes I wonder if that is a foreign concept to some..
      Sue Walker

      Delete
    4. PS I have noticed that this is the second less than complimentary post to refer to you as Mr. "Wortring"...Stanley, I think you have an admirer...;-)
      Sue

      Delete
    5. Honestly, I think the post was from the same person. The misspelling was probably intentional, I'm not going to warry about it, I know what I did was important and nobody can belittle the joy I got from seeing the excitement on those young faces.

      Delete
    6. Sorry to disappoint...I have never posted to you before mr wotring.... My spell check changed your name ....justt a ford school teacher whose precious instructional time you took away under the name of library. No offense

      Delete
    7. No offense but I could post as the Pope

      Delete
    8. Ok again you all just don't have training in the things you comment about and don't understand. A volunteer is admirable BUT successful volunteers under go programs of instruction to learn skills related to job activities. You can't just throw,someone in there as mr wotring was thrown in...no training , no skill set... As was said before it takes time away from what should be going on. I have not commented before but I am a teacher at ford. A,reading teacher was and still is desperately needed ...2 or 3 could be added. I love librarians but you need to teach kids to read ...

      Delete
    9. Okay, I think you have commented before. I also work as pope on the sode and I wish yoy would start addressing me as HIS HOLINESS!

      Delete
  3. Seriously A librarian has more skills than a volunteer parent? sounds like bad union leadership talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be so quick to BLAME the union on this one. There are people in the ADMINISTRATION standing in line to go after me!

      Delete