Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

READING BETWEEN THE LINES ABOUT READING

uneducacion.blogspot.com

CLEO sure is good about all that journalism stuff. Don't think I could do that. I'd rather be irreverent and irresponsible, reference the four marriages. On top of all that I'm not that good of a speller, although I seem to have no problem spelling "I DO".

One of my multiple disabilities, you see, is that I don't you see, see that well.  Numbers, well they jump all over the page.  They must suffer from a similar disability down at COMMERCIAL STREET. They don't seem to see the numbers too well either or at least they can't see what they mean.

Hmm! Let's see FORD SCHOOL did so well why? They don't even have a READING teacher.

BUT......

What they do HAVE is a LIBRARY  where they have books. NO they don't have a READING TEACHER, they have a READING PROGRAM. Reading is valued and encouraged.

I remember being almost accosted by DR.LATHAM last spring at a LSC meeting when we were discussing the wisdom of FORD SCHOOL choosing to add a librarian over a reading teacher.

A READING TEACHER was the way to go she assured me and that the numbers supported her view. I had to walk away telling her we would just have to agree to disagree. I was a little scared by the look in her eyes, Well I don't think these numbers would bolster her argument,

Now that I look back on that special night maybe I come up with a different interpretation of what transpired. I think maybe, she was trying to say if FORD had chosen that READING TEACHER that I could have hung around as a volunteer librarian and she just didn't know how to put into WORDS how much she was going to miss me.

4 comments:

  1. What is Ford's reading program? How is it different from the other schools'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can recall correctly during the school committee debates the only person to bring up the fact that our children are losing out was that defilippo lady who was running. I was at the debate at the temple and she was right on. We have no reading teachers and libririans at any of our elementary schools. And we expect our children to pass the mcas exams. I think she even said her child attends a lynn school with no reading teachers or libririans. what a shame this city is so clueless. It is the same old story in Lynn..............
    We are very disappointed parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't honestly know if there is a READING PROGRAM persay, it's just that reading is VALUED. The library is a perfect example, All students are encouraged to read whereas one READING TEACHER only helps one person at a time and only a few in total. READING TEACHERS definitely have their place bit we got to think of overall priorities. It's all about a culture of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. elementary students are struggling with reading and if you are an ELL student you are even further behind. if the library is not staffed and the schools have no reading teachers/assistants, then how are children going to develop a culture of reading? of course, certain families will encourgae it, but others will not. they depend on LPS. also, check out the title 3 monies coming into this city. that should explain plenty to you!

    ReplyDelete