Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Open For Business!

We, parents face an uphill battle fighting the education system. All of the laws,rules, and policies surrounding and pertaining to a student's education can be any parent's nightmare. This is especially true when your child has special needs. Like Alice Cooper used to sing years ago, "Welcome To My Nightmare".

So what is a person to do to help them sleep? What works for me is to help others navigate the currents of the help available. Fresh off of helping to get a parent the help she was entitled to, my BFF (she actually helped the parent write the letter we circulated, all full of legal mumbo jumbo) was reveling in our success, fantasizing about getting some kind of imaginary grant whereby we could actually get paid for helping other parents. Maybe some day dreams can come true.

Until that day, I intend to use the power of poverty to accomplish those goals. So, I encourage ANYONE with school problems to get in touch with me or I dare say my BFF to help them advocate for their educational needs. And remember, everyone's needs are special.

3 comments:

  1. Can you get a gifted program in the city? We really, really need one locally. The closest is Melrose,which isn't too bad, but we need something here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, we need to talk. I agree with you 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Calling all grant writers! I am interested in obtaining help writing grants to assist parents in Lynn who have children on IEPs or 504s in advocating for the services that their children need to access FAPE.

    ReplyDelete