Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mock News

I didn't try to scoop the Item on this one. There is plenty of news to go around and I can't cover everything. Have I said before, "I'm just a poor, disabled poet."? So the Item gave some kids a nice article for their scrapbook collection. The only thing was they heard the students talking but weren't listening to what they had to say.

The students passed a mock resolution to reduce the phys. ed requirement down to one year so they could take more AP and Honors courses and debated the expansion of the availability of such classes to underclassmen. All of this was in order to get into more competitive, better schools.

Does anybody else find it sadly ironic that this day a teen suicide prevention presentation was on the agenda for the regular LSC meeting? If anyone doubts the dangers of too much pressure on our kids, they should try and view the documentary "Race To Nowhere" that LSC member Rick Starbard took me to a screening of.

That way maybe the Item won't scoop me on the future obituary of some overstressed student.

Lynn student leaders take over City Hall

4 comments:

  1. I suspect more kids commit suicide due to bullying than stress - not to downplay stress on everyone in today's society. I believe MIT has one of the highest student suicide rates and these are kids that got into one of those 'better' schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you but I think bullying is pretty stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course bullying is stressful, but that is not the stress the movie, Race to the Top is about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What movie are you talking about? I thought Race To The Top" was President Obama's educational initiative and "Race To Nowhere" was the movie.

    ReplyDelete