Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2014

LEARNING SOMETIMES COMES FROM LIVING LIFE

The problem with education administration is they thing that TIME-ON LEARNING is the same as TIME FOR LEARNING. Let me tell you a little story. See it's not the number of facts we accumulate in our brain but rather learning how to use our brain. It's not endless testing that makes us smart (I mean other people because I am surely NOT) but rather it is living the variety of life.

You never know what is going to spark a students desire to seek knowledge so you can never underestimate even the smallest activity. Now people make fun of WV when it comes to education. I'm right sure we never done a lot of things right but at least we celebrated the holidays and only took STANDARDIZED tests once a year. We had a lot less structure and NO SUMMER READING. Every year we would have a BIG school-wide HALLOWEEN COSTUME contest where the HOMEROOM winners would compete with the other classes for a grand prize. My last year, my sixth-grade tear, I was so desperate to win I dressed up in a BIKINI. Well I did win. Even with all those interruptions, I turned out okay.

Well wait a minute, I'm just a POOR, DISABLED POET maybe I'm not the BEST example. Okay lets switch example here for a minute and see if I can come up with a BETTER one. Well there was this one kid STEVIE MIKES. Steve's house was just down the street. He was in my little brothers class and was subjected to the same distractions I was and had roughly the same quality of elementary and secondary education I had. In fact many of the same teachers. He did turn out a little more successful than me.

He ended up working for the JET PROPULSION LABORATORY out in CALIFORNIA and played a KEY ROLE in programming the MARS ROVER. Although I was a couple years ahead of him in school so we never had any classes, he was in my CUB SCOUT TROOP and for a will my mother was our DEN MOTHER and I remember this one meeting in our basement where we made MODEL rockets and I always wondered how much that SPARKED his interest in science or maybe it came from some of the elaborate HALLOWEEN his own MOM made. Back then, back in WV NOBODY bought costumes off the rack. Once I seem to remember some costume with aluminum foil like a robot or something like a robot. The thing is we may never know what was the ACTUAL catalyst  or maybe it wasn't one, it was the variety of experiences of living life that triggered the expression of his imagination. That is why creativity is VITAL in learning because  REAL education is express best by being able to pull FACTS you learn from LOTS of different places to come up with something NEW,

PS. As an extra added bonus to this post I am going to share a video STEVE shared yesterday. It is so cool.
Play Video

Got a minute? Find out why NASA explores Earth more than any other planet.#EarthRightNow
UnlikeUnlike ·  · 

No comments:

Post a Comment