Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

"HOW POLITICS PLAY DOWN ON COMMERCIAL STREET" or "THE NEW SPANISH INQUISITION"

Have I said before I got sources? Have you been following my hit counter? I got sources everywhere.

Seems like some people play politics in the school department but try to play old school. Kind of ironic that they would play that way in the newest school in Lynn, CLASSICAL. As a poet I could appreciate the juxtaposition of terms if it wasn't so insulting. Some of you are complaining, "Who are you to complain about insulting?". True, but even I have a few lines I won't cross and at least I make you laugh sometimes.

I wish I could say what happened at CLASSICAL on October 12 was a "comedy of errors" but I'm not laughing and I seriously wonder if this degrading slight was intentional, payback for opposing DR. LATHAM on many issues, not the least of which was demanding that if and when we hire another  deputy superintendent that they have the credentials needed and not just a friendly face (Cue theme song - Pretty Maids All In A Row".

At the second annual celebration of Hispanic Heritage month, a fireman and a policeman got to address the assembly. These are important jobs and we all should be proud of and grateful for their service and dedication regardless of their nationality or background.Bravery doesn't come in colors.

Sitting in the front row with the other Latino dignitaries was LSC member, MARIA CARRASCO. MARIA was the FIRST and ONLY Hispanic elected official in Lynn. But the only thing heard from her was SILENCE.

What an opportunity lost, lost due to accidental oversight? C'mon, she is a SCHOOL COMMITTEE person and this program was held in a school. The BAND is not the only ones given marching orders.
MARIA provides the perfect example of what it takes for a minority to rise to a position of leadership and inspiration. She was called on last year to address this year but not this year, even after Lynn officially became a majority of minorities.

This was not the first time MARIA'S been insulted or slighted, depriving her of the dignity deserved of her position. I was at a LSC meeting where PATTI CAPANO made what most would call an ethnic or racist remark about MARIA'S accent. I blogged about it way back then and it was one of the most clicked on entries I ever had.

Where do we go from here? Well first we have to recognize where we are at. Until we recognize our faults, we can never change them. Well one of our faults is to have a superintendent in place that would promulgate such an environment where such an affront to the dignity of a whole group of people could occur. Because the slight wasn't just to MARIA CARRASCO, LSC member, but it was a slap in the face to every person of any color struggling to achieve the dignity they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment