Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Why Have I Been Sending Copies Of The Watch To Council?

Well it's not just because I like seeing my numbers go up. Although I have to admit it's been pretty heady to see my readership skyrocket. Me, an unemployed disabled wanna be poet.

The fact of the matter is that the city of Lynn subsidizes 50% of the school budget. I don't have to throw any more numbers at you to make you realize that is a significant amount. Now the mayor chairs the committee so if there is any financial mismanagement going on, she should know about it. Council on the other hand, has no representative. Checks and balances, you know.

Hopefully they are giving careful and deliberate thought to the things I'm bringing up and not just hitting the delete button. I guess we'll see who is interested come election time.

4 comments:

  1. i thought it was more like 60%
    Huge

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont forget poet/comedian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stanley, you are doing great letting the people of Lynn know what is going on at the School Committee meetings. The mayor is the chief executive, accountable to voters for city administration. The City Council is the legislative branch, responsible for reviewing and approving the mayor’s budget and actions. Separation of authority between the executive and legislative branches, clearly defines checks and balances with direct accountability to voters for performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a letter back from Council. I guess they hear things too. As or whether it's 50% or 60%, you know I don't do math well. Let's just agree on a lot.

    ReplyDelete