Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Let's Show Up And Be Counted, Whenever It Is

I got a question today, "When is the next LSC meeting?". I had to answer I wasn't sure. I talked this morning with LSC member Donna Coppola and she wasn't even sure. There is always lots of calender shuffling. What was certain was that the law or regs. or whatever states you can't have a committee meeting if there is no school.

What was certain is that the volume of my traffic has been over 200 hits a day for my blog. We need to transform that level of interest into bodies in the seats. A large audience holds them accountable for their actions. Let's not miss this opportunity to show our interest in the welfare of our kids.

There are lots of crucial votes to be taken, plans to be made, and fates to be decided. The law says a meeting has to be posted 48 hours before the actual time of the meeting. With the mix-up with the posting of the last meeting I am not sure of how happy the LSC and the school administration would be to see a crowd of interested parents. There is always lots of talk about lack of public interest but maybe that's what they want.

Show up and call their bluff. I'll let you know as soon as I know. In the meantime, keep helping the Watch to grow.

8 comments:

  1. There is no meeting tomorrow due to school vacation. The next regularly scheduled meeting would have been the 10th, but for some reason that I do not remember, that was rescheduled for March 3rd. I plan to restate my suggestion from the last meeting, that if we miss a 2nd meeting in a row, that meeting should be rescheduled for the following week so that we never have to go so long between meetings. I think that we all understand that this winter has been quite unique and many school closings fell on meeting days. That being said, I am not sure I understand why meetings are canceled during school vacation. Administration still works during those weeks that school is closed as well as the summer and we still meet during the summer. See you on March 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have a video camera Stanley? one way to get there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rick. I do remediable some confusion about the dates. I think the mayor had some conflict with a Lynn Museum meeting some time in the future too.

    Anon, No I don't have one but all that gadgetry just messes me up. I don't take good pictures on either side of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing keeping me from covering School Comm is not being able to hire someone, but I'll accept a volunteer. :)

    I have a public notices section on Lynn Happens, but the School hasn't been sending me their meeting notices or agendas. Some of the Committees in City Hall have trailed off, as well. I'll have to get on them. But, it's as simple as cc'ing me on the email that goes out to the other press.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me when and where and I'll go. I can't do Monday, Feb 28th though, because I have a ZBA meeting in Peabody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would volunteer Seth but I have transportation issues so I would gladly yield to Melissa. Melissa, you are safe on the 28th as there is no meeting that night. If need be Seth, we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that the notices of committee meetings have been trailing off, Seth. It's the nature of large organizations that when change comes along, they want to return to the status quo. Looks like the city was being more diligent about meeting notices and outreach for a while, then they trailed off. It's up to us, the people, to bring about a new status quo. Everything from blogs to writing letters and showing up at meetings is important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are new rules of civic engagement. With the advent of the Internet it is much easier to hold our officials accountable and exercise our duties as citizen. We all need to take advantage of the technology.

    ReplyDelete