Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Who Spends What For Who?

I was talking to a teacher who brought up an interesting fact that begs for further discussion. Evidently the teacher's union was approached last year to give up one of their personal days in order to prevent lay offs. Unlike the previous two years, the members of the union voted to refuse.

I know 70 notices were sent out but I don't know how many if any were actually laid off. This teacher says no body actually was. I don't know but I have been noticing new jobs being created every time I read the agenda for the school committee meetings. I hear threats of possible teacher layoffs again.

Someone give me an accounting lesson so I can understand how we can afford a new deputy superintendent while our direct line teachers get ultimatums about sacrifice. Must be that new math.

5 comments:

  1. Congrates on going over 10,000 views. This is disconcerting to me as well. We really need to be focusing on getting these class sizes down and I am not sure how new deputy superintendents do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I remember last year that something like 42 people left and were not being replaced - they were not layoffs but retirements, etc. In essence though that is 42 less teachers or whatever. I remember the librarians were given other jobs so they weren't considered layoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on Mary,

    You must be the Principal Mary...there were no layoffs and everyone is back to work MINUS ONE ONLY! In fact I know the one and she is the Confidential Stanley has spoken about..let's be real Mary you know nothing is a secret...in fact, it's surprising how many parents, children and staff are related to each other...how can you keep anything a secret with this pattern of hiring! Remember all layoffs can be reviewed in local city offices and confirmed where the money went and for what...nothings a secret remember someone always knows someone and it seems everyday the world gets smaller and smaller...have a good day!

    Anonon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. A LOL, you have to admit such hiring practices build family loyalty.

    ReplyDelete