Search This Blog

Friday, October 24, 2014

SCIENCE ON THE ROCKS, HIGH ROCK THAT IS

I've been meaning to write this post for a while but between all my back problems and everyday drama I just never got around to it. There goes my CHRISTMAS bonus for being lazy. At DR. CRANE'S retirement party a month ago, I was approached by RICHARD HELD, ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM FOR SCIENCE. He introduced himself, joking that he had been mentioned in the WATCH a few times and I guess in the way that I do what I do.

Honestly nothing significant comes to my mind about any of it other than in relation to KNOW ATOM and how not having anyone in his position had been the justification for expanding the program throughout the elementary schools. Now it is expensive there is no doubt about it but the results here and other places have been superior. Since LPS has hired him an we are still keeping KNOW ATOM (honestly I was concerned they were going to stop it cold turkey but he assured me otherwise.)that it would be hard to attribute responsibility for any improvements.

It is a costly program and going forward the budget will be busted if we try and keep both. RICHARD told me of the plan to introduce LPS'S own program starting in first grade. We agreed that the key to KNOW ATOMS success was its HANDS-ON experience AND THAT WOULD BE STRESSED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF ANY LPS PROGRAM going forward.  For now though we are going to stick with KA until the money runs out. Somehow I get the feeling ATOMS days are numbered.

I was impressed by MR. HELD and that is not always an easy thing to do.. I took some comfort in his overall philosophy and the fact that most people in the administration run from me and he ran to me.    

       

No comments:

Post a Comment