Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS

Everyone seems to agree something is going to happen with the opening up of LVTI as some sort of COMMUNITY CENTER by SEPTEMBER at least. There's been talk of ESL, GED, and CITIZENSHIP classes. Questions of who would pay and how much still have to be worked out but there seems to be a growing consensus that the CORE classes at least ought to be FREE.

Even FREE classes need teachers and there remains a question of who would pay them and where would that money come from. I would guess there is probably TITLE I money available for that. I mean we do get over $6 million from that source, 10% of which has to be dedicated to parental involvement. Someday I'd like to see a balance sheet justifying just what we have spent that money on in the past.

I just don't know why we have to wait until the fall. I mean it'll probably get hot this summer (maybe even before around budget time), LVTI has a pool and well hiring a few kids to be lifeguards would help create some summer jobs. Let's not forget VOLLEYBALL and the BASKETBALL courts. Why do we have to wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment