Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

IS LPS ANTI-FAMILY?

Over the years that I have been involved with the FORD SCHOOL in a few different capacities. I always thought it was unusual that the kids eat breakfast in their rooms. My son spent time at DREWICZ and SHOEMAKER and they never had that practice there.

Curious, one time I asked DR. CRANE, the retiring principal, about this practice. Then she started waxing all philosophical on me and the like but gosh darn if it didn't make good sense. The way that most of our kids live they don't always get much of a chance to sit down and eat as a family, you know sit down and talk about the doings of the day over a bowl of vittles. And after all the people you go to school with when you are young are like family. They will be friends for life.

But it goes deeper than that, I mean there is even some science behind it. You see when you pair a primary classical stimulus (food) with the modeling of appropriate behavior that just makes the learning of that behavior that more likely.

I hope this NEW TRANSITION TEAM don't change that practice just so they can put their own stamp on the school. ACTUALLY IF THEY ARE SMART THEY WOULD EXPAND THE PRACTICE TO OTHER SCHOOLS.

I know I'm no doctor but then again, "ARE ANY OF THEM(DEB, GAIL, or ALICE)?

6 comments:

  1. Kids eating in the cafetaria sit together and talk like family too. There is nothing philosophical about this. Truth be told, kids should be having breakfast at home. It should not be the schools responsibility to feed kids breakfast,especially on someone else's dime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space matters! There is something to be gained from pairing a positive experience like eating with the classroom where learning occurs. Success breeds success unless...truth be told you like it when students fail so they can grow up sucking down more of your tax dollars.

      Delete
  2. If students fail, it will not be because they ate breakfast in the cafe instead of the classroom. This is nonsense, but thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder who is feeding you these ideas?? Hmmm. And no,pun intended

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in school in WV, they taught me things. Actually a couple of years ago me and my kids were involved in tTHE FAMILY DINNER PROJECTat the FORD SCHOOL where I learned more. Finally my Mom and I have had discussaions how important meal time was to the family. I must confess I never ate breakfast at school. In fact I never ate lunch much there either. I went home for lunch probably a ten minute walk each way even the couple of stretches I spent on crutches. That was in a different place and these are different times, it just seems to me that these"ideas" are ust a a modern-day approximation.Based on the numbers this post is pulling down, I'd say a lot other people are feeding from the same table!

      Delete
  4. It is a good idea scientifically and philosophically! The heads of the LPS wouldn't understand because they didn't learn addition of thought.

    ReplyDelete