Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

WHY ISN'T THE ITEM REPORTING THIS?

You know, I was watching the school committee meeting over because I was lookiing for something NEW to write. I mean I was getting BORED harping on this NET SCHOOL SPENDING situation. I was afraid my horses were all dead and well you know being a WV boy I am an animal lover. In WV the only thing we love more than our animals is our cousins.

But to tell you the TRUTH I got down right terrified by what I heard. Here is what IS happening. The city is going to float another 3 million dollar bond to fund a variety of projects upto $1500,000 each around the DISTRICT that will go to reducing our NSS gap. That NEW DEBT won't completely eliminate it so other things must be done too.
 Remember in addition to the 4 million dollars the city council already bonded, the voters approved a 92 million dollar bond. By my calculations 3 + 4+92 = 99 MILLION DOLLARS the city will have BONDED in the past year. I wonder how our precious BOND rating is going to look now?

The sad thing is all that borrowing still leaves us short of what our spending requirements are going to be. So the MAYOR can stamp her feet all she wants but she still is promising raises for everyone. YUP, I see a vote on a tax increase coming.

Some of those other things that were discussed was laying off policeman and firefighters. Teachers were said to be the safest city employees because eliminating their salaries would actually compound the problem. It would seem to me that the other solution suggested would be a PROP 2 1/2 TAX INCREASE.

Now I agree with the MAYOR that every dollar spent toward providing educational for our children should go toward reducing our NSS burden. However this problem didn't just suddenly present itself. Everybody knew or should have know the rules going in. There has been little effort to resolve it until now. Maybe I am wrong but it is just hard for me to see through those smoky backrooms with my failing eyesight.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the video you posted. The mayor went on and on about what the state allows to be net school spending,which she obviously does not agree with. So why didn't she know these health costs could not since she clearly knew about all the other ones that could and could not? It sounded like she knew but didn't agree so she counted them and then got caught didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She didn't say anything before and she had to know this was coming. Kind of makes her outrage appear less than sincere!

    ReplyDelete