Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2015

MORE THAN NICE HAIR

From the LYNN JOURNAL

Nicholson Announces Candidacy for School Committee


Jared Nicholson has announced his intention to seek election to the Lynn School Committee.
Nicholson, 29, moved to Lynn following his graduation from Harvard Law School in 2014.
“IAPPLIED for a fellowship when I was graduating from law school and I wanted to do it in Lynn because I thought the community development project that I have – working with small businesses – would be a good fit for a city like Lynn,” said Nicholson.
The PrincetonUNIVERSITY graduate said his great-grandfather, Frederick Peach, lived in Lynn.
An attorney, Nicholson works at Northeast Legal Aid – an agency that providesFREE, civil legal services to low-income residents on the North Shore.
“I really enjoy the community here,” said Nicholson. “I appreciate the welcome I have received and the support I have received for doing the work I’m doing. That’s a big reason why I want to get more involved.”
Nicholson grew up in Sudbury and attended Lincoln-Sudbury High School where he competed for the football and wrestling teams. He was also a wrestler for the Princeton Tigers Division 1 college varsity team.
There will be at least twoOPEN seats on the Lynn School Committee. Current member Rick Starbard is running for councilor-at-large. Member Charlie Gallo has announced that he will not be seeking re-election.
Nicholson will host a campaign kickoffEVENT on June 15.
Following is his announcement:
Why I’m Running
I am running for Lynn School Committee because I plan to raise my family here, and like all Lynners, I want to send my kids to great schools. I am also so excited by the potential this city has, and I know that to reach that potential, we need to help our kids meet theirs. The schools play such an important role in helping our kids reach their potential, preparing them to participate in our economy and our democracy. I believe that I have a lot to contribute to that work as an attorney with a business background, an ability to speak Spanish, and a passion for publicEDUCATION having myself attended public schools.
Great schools broaden opportunities for the city’s children, attract new businesses that know the value of a good publicEDUCATION system, and encourage young families with a lot to contribute to seek out and stay in Lynn. We want longtime multigenerational residents, newer immigrant families, and young professionals looking for a historic community near Boston all to see a bright future here. That vision requires investing in great public schools and bringing innovative ideas to the table about how we stretch limited resources to meet the challenges of a diverse school district. As Lynn sets the standard for gateway city resurgence, public education needs to be recognized as the foundation upon which the city’s future is built.
Contributing New Ideas
I plan to contribute new ideas and offer a fresh perspective to the Committee. With our students’ futures in mind, I want to talk about how we can build pathways for students toCOLLEGE ANDjobs based on feedback from local employers. We also need to make sure that the knowledge our students gain in school is complemented by the development of the social-emotional skills they will need to succeed in life. We all know how vital our teachers are – I also want to explore how we can support teachers with helpful professional development and feedback to make sure they have the tools they need to tackle all that we ask of them.
These are a few of the new ideas that I want to focus on. I look forward to learning more about ways to improve our schools over the course of the campaign from students, parents, teachers, administrators and voters. Those conversations will be the centerpiece of my campaign.
We already know that the challenges the next School Committee will face will include financial concerns, rising studentENROLLMENT and infrastructure needs. I believe my legal and quantitative skills will be particularly valuable in work on those issues.
Another crucial role the School Committee plays is being the go-between for the schools and the community. A large proportion of students in the Lynn Public Schools come from Spanish-speaking families. Adding another Committee member who can talk directly to the large number of Lynn parents who prefer Spanish will be extremely helpful to the Committee in fulfilling that role as a go-between for the community.
My Background and
 ExperienceIN EDUCATION
My mother was a preschool teacher for over thirty years, so education has always been a priority for me. I was lucky to attend a great K-12 public school system in Massachusetts. I graduated from Princeton University in 2008, where I majored in public policy and focused specifically on education policy. I also had the opportunity to work on education policy as an intern in former Governor Deval Patrick’s office when the statewide Executive OfficeOF EDUCATION was created. After college, I worked as a business consultant on projects all over the United States and Latin America, where I developed strong quantitative analytical skills that will be particularly valuable in helping make sure our school dollars go as far as they can.
Today, I am an attorney at Northeast Legal Aid, where I work on community economic development by helping small businesses who can’t afford legal help. I came to Lynn to work on economic development, and part of the reason why I’m running is because of how important having great schools is to Lynn’s economic development aspirations. I graduated from Harvard Law School in 2014, where I worked as a qualified student practitioner on housing, family and wage and hour law. I believe my legal skills and experiences will be useful in helping the School Committee understand and meet its legal obligations. MyBACKGROUND as a legal aid attorney will also help make me a strong provider of constituent services as a School Committee member.
My connection to Lynn Public Schools dates back to the turn of the last century, when my great-grandfather graduated from Lynn Classical. For our schools to be great, they need to continue to improve and adapt to the 21st century economy. PublicEDUCATION generally and the Lynn Public Schools specifically are dealing with significant changes, which presents both cha
Jared Nicholson
Jared Nicholson
llenges andOPPORTUNITIES. I am running for School Committee to help the Lynn Public Schools meet those challenges and take advantage of those opportunities, to help make sure that the children of Lynn get the best possible preparation they can – to help them reach their potential so that we as a city can reach ours.

3 comments:

  1. Jared is correct. The next school committee will face the same challenges our current and past committee's have---financial concerns, rising student enrollment and infrastructure needs. If we want to build pathways for students to college and jobs, we must first resolve these issues.

    Two of the biggest problems we have in Lynn are the continued underfunding of our schools and the mishandling of the funds we do receive. Unfortunately, the way the system currently works, there is little the school committee members can do when it comes to the underfunding. This problem originates and lies with the Mayor and city council members who create and approve the city budget. However, the school committee does have authority over the school department operating budget. To help ease the burden of the current financial crisis, school committee members could begin with demanding transparency. It is amazing to watch and listen to a LPS budget hearing. Money is moved all around that budget from line item to line item or bunched in with other line items. I honestly do not believe a single person sitting at that table, including Kevin, can account for every dollar that comes in and out of the district. You can see the look of confusion on the faces of committee members. Unfortunately, this confusion leads to almost no questions asked (typically only Donna asks any) and a rubber stamp approval.

    Another way school committee members could help ease the burden of the current financial crisis is stop approving exorbitant raises for administrators, particularly those who have offices on Bennett Street and especially for those who are responsible for the financial crisis we are currently facing. Why are these individuals being rewarded for their neglectful actions? Why are raises being given out when there is a net school spending shortage of about $17 million? Money for raises does not just miraculously appear. It is money that is taken away from our schools, classrooms and students. Schools and classrooms that are overcrowded and already have insufficient resources. If current and potential school committee members really want to support our teachers, stop suggesting, recommending, requesting and expecting they do more for less. Less time, space, money, and resources.

    The lack of overall parental involvement is another significant issue in our schools. It is great to have such diverse schools full of students from different countries, backgrounds and cultures. However, parents/guardians need to step up, get involved, take responsibility and action for the education of their children, as well as their own, and stop blaming the teachers!





    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past parents who tried to work in the schools were reduced to glorified aide status. I know a head of a past PTO who went into one of the schools all gung ho, and they just tried to use her to run fund raising efforts. Another person was supposed to "network" to run around and find them parents willing to sit in classes and be "reporters" back to parents about their kids' bad behavior in schools. With all the parents needing their own educational courses and second language courses; why can't schools find ways to enrich parents' lives "within" the fabric of the schools, instead of kicking them aside or treating them like a lower rung of people; with a few "select" parents saved to rubber stamp whatever the school personnel want them for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comment. I guess you WOULD NOT agree with the remodeling done at FORD school that had evening classes much like the ones you describe, only to have them STRIPPED away by the LPS administration!

    ReplyDelete