Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2015

MISSING FROM THE MEETING, CALLING ON CHUCK TO CHECK IT OUT

Below is the agenda for the upcoming LSC meeting this Thur. night. As I peruse down the text I notice what appears to me to be a glaring omission as one who WATCHs these circus proceedings. What could that be you might ask?

SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING NOTICE
May 28 | 6 PM

Well you see way back a couple of meetings ago there was this BIG push by our bestest friend CHUCK to get LPS to come up with a WANTS as NEEDS budget and BUSINESS MANAGER KEVIN MCHUGH was charged with producing this fairy tale of a budget and to have it for the MAY 28th meeting. You don't have to believe me, go to the archives for yourselves and check it out. It should be in the FINANCE SUBCOMMITTEE meeting.



School Committee 30 Apr 15 5:58 PM                      MEETING MINUTES DOWNLOAD
Apr 30 2015 - 5:58:04 PM
2 hours and 25 minutes

Now I have been warning about what a FARCE this request was because the way the BUDGETARY PROCESS works the MAYOR alone can set the AMOUNT of the city's contribution.

YOU CAN ASK SANTA FOR ANYTHING YOU WANT, DOESN'T MEAN YOU WILL GET IT.
(Then again maybe the best part for him is sitting on SANTA'S lap)


Now it's fair to say CHUCK gets a LITTLE HOT under the collar when called out!


  • Stanley WotringI have NO DOUBT you are right in repeating what was conveyed to you. However as we learned last year. Dr. Latham does not have control of what goes into the budget as illustrated when she had to cut 7 million from her proposed budget after the MAYOR gave her the number for the city's contribution. That is why I have been pointing out that attempts by certain committee members to have the school dept. compose a budget comprised of wish lists whether they be "wants" or "needs" is a colossal waste of time until we hear from the Mayor what will be available.
    Like · Reply · 1 · May 20 at 10:27am
  • Charlie Gallo Stanley Wotring making accusations of wasting time... Like the pot calling the kettle black
    Like · Reply · 1 · May 20 at 10:44am
  • Stanley Wotring Lol, now now. Please though tell me I'm wrong about the REAL budgetary process. You see when I waste time I follow the LAW. Everyone will see how this plays out. I got no political aspirations, I call out everyone.
  • Stanley WotringWell Charlie let me focus my accusation a little. It would NOT be a waste of time if it was framed as an educational exercise into what is needed however blindsiding the MAYOR when it is well known that the ACTUAL control of the budget is hers not anyone on the committee or even the committee as a whole. Not that I am a big fan of the Mayor preparing a PROPOSED budget before you are told the actual numbers you have to work with seems to me to be political wrangling with the students of LPS as victims. If LPS is in posssession of the final number then fine, at least it will be constructive,

Now I have been making sure the MAYOR'S OFFICE has been getting a copy of the  warnings from the WATCH but I have been getting NO RESPONSE, big surprise there.

Now if you NOTICE in the NOTICE for the meeting there is no mention of any FANTASY budget on the agenda,

WHY IS THAT?

9 comments:

  1. Oh please....We know Judy put an end to Charlie's plan the second she heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my level best to make sure she knew what was going on. If CHUCK had sincere concerns, you'd thunk he'd found a way to make some legitimate noise. Surely he is SMART enough to know how the budgetary process works.......well maybe we better leave that right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The topic is on the Finance subcommittee agenda for the 28th. I think Charlie is very well aware of how the budget process works. In my opinion, I think he made the request to Kevin in preparation for the FY16 budget hearing and he wants to ensure everyone is on the same page. I think he wants everyone to know exactly what Dr. Latham feels she needs in her school operating budget, which typically includes requests from principals. I think he also wants everyone to know where Lynn currently stands in meeting FY15 NSS requirement, which will obviously have a direct impact on Lynn's ability to meet FY16 NSS requirement. Based on the most recent reports released by the DESE and my numerous conversations with the school finance department, Lynn will not meet either of these requirements. It always baffles me to hear the figures Kevin and the Mayor quote, because they always seem to differ from those released by the DESE. Also, it always appears that the Mayor's definition of meeting NSS requirement differs from the state's and the actual law. Meeting NSS requirement means funding the schools at a minimum of 100%. It does not mean funding the schools at a minimum of 95%.

    Charlie and I may have a difference of opinion on many issues, but the funding of our schools is not one of them. I think it is great that he is always candid when talking about the issue, because it is an extremely important one. To be honest, every committee member should be as vocal as Charlie on the issue. Underfunding our schools is absolutely unacceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not get me wrong, for whatever reason it was brought up it was a GOOD thing. However I live in the REAL world. There is NO way the schools are going to approach 100% funding much less the fulfillment of any wish list. With our current governor, there will not be any push to make LYNN comply. We need to be able to look at things rationally and have reasonable approaches if we TRULY want to make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, to my knowledge, the list mentioned is an essentials list. It is a list of essentials that LPS and the students who attend need, but are denied due to the underfunding of our schools. In order for the committee to look at things rationally and come up with reasonable solutions, they first need to know where the budget currently stands and what they are up against. I think this is what Charlie plans on accomplishing with his request.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do notice that the subject is noticed of the sub notice, however even though it is listed as a meeting of the whole, five will get you ten the MAYOR WILL BE MISSING. As we all know she is the only one that really matters. What is also missing from this discussion is HOW we are going to fund the schools at 100%. The CRONY CORRUPTION is deep at CITY HALL and it goes way back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, my understanding of Charlie's request was to gather as much of the necessary financial information as possible from Kevin so the committee is all on the same page as far as what Dr. Latham needs for her FY16 budget, as well as where we currently stand for FY15 and 16 NSS. The Mayor does not need to be present for this. When the time comes for the FY16 budget hearing, we will all know how much is needed to cover the costs of everything the schools need, as well as how much is needed to meet FY15 and 16 NSS. This way, when the Mayor informs the committee how much she is actually willing to allocate, we will all know if it is enough, or most likely, how much of a shortage it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure CHUCK'S intention was to highlight the growing disparity between what is alleged to be required required and what is actually spent. I know there are laws but with no enforcement there might as well not be. All of these spending shortfalls makes the GORDON COLLEGE and FORD SCHOOL fiascoes all the more exacerbating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the actions are framed right and identified for what they are, heck I'll DANCE WITH THE DEVIL and join CHUCK'S side. I am just not looking to shoot anybody in the back.

    ReplyDelete