Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2013

LIL'LORI WANTS TO KNOW

Lori D'Amico posted on your timeline
"What does everyone think about the lack of uniformity district wide regarding holiday parties/events, birthdays and sports in the elementary schools? Some schools celebrate events by having parties and others do not. I have been told it is up to the principal. Also, some schools require the students to try out for a team, so not all students get to be on the team, while other schools allow all students who want to participate to be on the team. I just saw on facebook how kids came home crying because they did not make the basketball team at their school, but some of their friends at other schools did not have to worry because they were automatically on the team. "


Well you asked so i guess you want an answer. I'll give you one. Who knows, mayne spark up a conversation. Hard for me to admit but soetimes I don't have ALL of them. Anyway, here's what I think.

As far as uniformity - I think everybody ought to celebrate something. In our effort to be politically correct, we end up doing major wrong. Realistically we can't celebrate something without leaving somebody out so our answer is to leave everybody out. We all lose equally.

Think about what we lose though. Not only do we lose from not celebrating a holiday but we also lose the opportunity to learn. We can learn n respect and tolerance.

I also think that we need to relook at what it takes to MAKE the team. We need to realize what a team is and it doesn't just involve players on the field. Fans in the stands are just as iportant. Those big-time pro athletes aren't just playing for the final score. To them, the ost important numbers aren't on the scoreboards but on thier paychecks. There would be no money without fans.

Not everybody who plays a sport gets paid though. If nobody came to watch how long do you think schools would have any sport? Everybody has a role, none better but different.

EQUALITY IN EVERYTHING IS NOT ANYTHING,

1 comment:

  1. Again, I don't have kids in elementary school so I was unaware that these issues even existed. I just assumed there was a district policy or procedures followed that applied to all schools, particularly regarding celebrating different events and holidays, but I guess there isn't. My opinion though is that there should be. As far as sports teams, I think there should be tryouts. The only time every student should be just given a spot on a team is when there is not an excess of students interested in participating. As it stands now, the schools that have tryouts get to choose the best players, which causes an unfair advantage. It is interesting to discover just how many non-academic issues there are in our schools and district.

    ReplyDelete