Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2013

KIPP CONVERSION COMPLETE?

So I go to KIPP'S OPEN HOUSE and right off the bat I am disappointed. Not only did the two people that greeted me say that they had not read my blog but WORSE there were no pastries. If they had been reading my blog they would have known how to dilute the poison in my pen with a little corn syrup.

So I won't be spinning the story from a sugar-induced coma. Sad. I am really getting tired of  putting my willingness to sell myself out yet there is never any takers. Maybe it's because of what I told a school committee member who asked me if the ENGLISH principal really made that racially charged remark.

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it. He knew I was in the room and I am not the most TRUSTWORTHY individual,"

I happen to be at the head of a line of one. No waiting. Of course most people have a job to do at this time. Not me. I have the privelege of being poor.

To be titally up-front I told them that I had this little ole blog and that I had written some slightly infavorable stuff about KIPP in the past about KIPP in the past. Before he had a chance to fully digest my disclosure I added, "My e mails are blocked from LPS". I wanted to get that in there to insure the impression of my evenhandedness. I figured he hadn't heard my joke about being an equal-opportunity offender.

My furst impression of the school building was sustained throughout. The physical structure was TOP-NOTCH. In the beginning of the tour they handed me a brochure which was their annual report that seemed earily similar to a PROSPECTUS. Well, after all I have called EDUCATION the greatest investment

After I was convinced of my personal anonymity, I was greeted by my personal KIPPster who would serve as my personal tour guide. Now wait a minute. I am not putting on airs here. Everybody that was taken the tour was getting one, I just happened to be first and I didn't notice anyone coming behind mr. Oh well, it was still early.

Funny how coincidences go though, my tour guide went to FORD and had classes with both my kids but several with my daughter. Funny how that worked out. I mean they did knowI was coming, I RSVPed. Still no cakes were baked.

One of the first things I noticed was the make-up of the student body. Granted I was just eyeballing it and I do have that cataract thing going on but I didn't notice an appropriate amount of ASIAN students that would be necessary to justify their LEVEL 2 designation. I mean too much ENGLISH was spoken or was that has spoken. It's kind of hard to hear when a certain principal's foot is in his mouth.

I was overall impressed with the school and especially with my guide bot I still have MAJOR funding issues that I wull get into soon. A hint of what's to come can be summed up by my KIPPster's comment,

"I don't think I could go back to PUBLIC school again."

I thought CHARTER schools were supposed to be PUBLIC schools?

2 comments:

  1. How many Special Ed, Bilingual (not just Asian, but Latin, etc.) did you see? Stay on course Stanley, they are bypassing the system and the curve. Their Level 2 designation is probably skewed since they can't be equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh worry not, I am well aware of the numbers game. I know there is more than one way to skew. and they do, However,, the point I was trying to make had less to do with KIPP'S success and more to do with ENGLISH'S whining. Stay tuned for further expanding on KIPP and its philosophy,

      Delete