Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2013

LEVELS OF ENGLISH

I don't subscribe to the ITEM. Sorry can't afford it. I'm sure it is a really good NEWS source but I a really a POOR poet. Still I have people and well if it was in there, we all missed it.

SO.....

I thought I had better print it before the story gets so old that it loses all interest. I may be too late.

Dear Editor,


Last week I attended a School Council meeting at English High School. I wasn’t invited but that has never stopped me before. After all, it was a public meeting. Mr.Stangie gave me the required reading of the rules. I would not be allowed to speak. Not an easy requirement for me but pretty standard.

It is a good thing I was quiet or I might have not heard clearly racial remarks uttered in response to a question, “With all of these programs, why is English a Level 3 school while Classical is a Level 1?” The answer both disappointed and disgust me.

The excuse given was about the high number of Hispanic students who took  extended Christmas vacation and the inference that some left school in the springtime to do landscaping. English’s students were from a different culture than Classical’s higher percentage of Asian students whose families placed a higher value on education.


Statistics from the DOE website do not indicate a significant difference in the racial makeup that would justify such a blatant stereotype and derogatory caricature. An apology is not only needed for the demeaning of almost half the student body at BOTH schools but also to the entire Classical community – students, teachers, and administrators for discrediting the hard work they put in to achieve a Level  1 designation.

1 comment:

  1. The most sensible way to choose the best A level school Chennai is to pay a visit to the school campus and experience what it has to offer first hand. This way, you can also interact with the staff and teachers to assure yourself that the standards of education offered are satisfactory for your needs.

    ReplyDelete