Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2015

HOW CHEAP IS FREE?

$200,000 to STEM from school grant


This GOOD! Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

But MAYBE we do need to look at those who got us that GIFT. In the impending the impending BUDGET I am predicing possibly DRACONIAN cuts somewhere. I base my predictions on our long running NET SCHOOL SPENDING saga (What is it now 18 MIL+). I really don't see the BAKER administration pushing for enforcement here because that would mean recievership and they don't want the responsibility.

A problem the city IS going to have to deal with is the LOSS to LPS of the funding directed to KIPP due to their approved expansion.

GOOD, frugal spending practices are going to be crucial. So we got a part-time GRANT writer for public-private partnerships, last I heard another FULL time grant writer, and several people who have LOTS of experiance writing for GRANTS who we already pay hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars so when you look at it in that light, this AWARD kind of loses some of its luster.

Going forward maybe we should make those professional GRANT writers the first cuts we make. What have they actually got for LPS? I have been long calling for a record so we can do a cost/benefit analysis.

I SAY LET SOME OF THE ADMINISTRATORS WE ALREADY PAY HANDLE THAT RESPONSIBILITY.

Don't forget CHUCK won't be back to chair the GRANTS subcommittee and he was the driving force for its present existence or at least that's what he told us every chance he gets.

TIME FOR ACCOUNTABILITY!

13 comments:

  1. Stan: The part-time grant writer for public-private partnerships that you refer to is responsible for this $200K grant receipt. There is no full time grant writer. Thanks, Charlie Gallo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and engaging Charlie. I read where she did work on this. My question is/ has been what else has she accomplished? Also don't we have another full time grants writer? Given the tight budgetary times are we getting our money's worth when LPS is already full of competant, qualified professionaqls capable of undertaking these tasks?

      Delete
    2. Stan: There is NO full time grant writer. Thanks, Charlie Gallo

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the UPDATE! What happened? I remember a woman being introduced at a PAST meeting who was going to fill that capacity. I have been demanding some accountability starting not long after her hire but have gotten no response.

      Delete
    4. Stan: There has been no full time grant writer during my time on the School Committee. To my knowledge, there had never ever been one in the history of LPS, but I can only speak with certainty from 2012 on. Thanks, Charlie Gallo

      Delete
    5. II'll stick with my memory, The full time position was created when the last person in charge of GRANTS DEPARTMENT "retired", her salary and duties were split up. Part of that salary went to pay for the position of part-time public-private partnership coordinator that you called for the creation of. The remaining balance was to pay for a FULL-TIME GRANTS WRITER. This would be the person I thought I saw announced at a meeting.

      Oh I course I could be wrong. It has happened before. I don't understand why my error wasn't pointed the numerous times before I've mentioned it.

      Looks like I'll have to do some research. I hate that.

      Delete
    6. Grants Manager | Elyse Fannon
      Phone
      E-mail
      Fax
      (781) 477-7220
      fannone@lynnschools.org
      (781) 477-7303

      Well CHUCK I may have got my words tangled. However I did pull this from the LPS website and I don't understand why she doesn't serve in that capacity,

      Delete
    7. Why was my most recent comment deleted? Despicable. My most recent comment said that Grants Manager is a grant accounting position, not a grant writing position. I've told you that multiple times. Perhaps you have erased it from your memory, just as you have erased it from this blog. Charlie Gallo

      Delete
    8. CHUCK, I believe I was not the one who erased it. You know me I love a good debate. It gets me more clicks. "Despicable" huh, okay. Maybe its because I am not from Massachusetts I can't understand such complicated concepts. Okay maybe she doesn't write GRANTS but maybe she should or maybe we can do without her.

      You know I am going to miss you when you're no longer on the LSC because I can always count on you for myltiple clicks!

      Delete
    9. it's one thing to get grants and a whole other thing to manage and track them .ask any big nonprofit agency in or outside of lynn and they will tell you that grant management is just as important as getting the money. if lynn schools got rid of the manager position that would be bad and you would find many many more things to complain about, stanley.

      Delete
    10. Lol, who says I am complaining? I am pointing out the tough choices we are going to have to make. Since I see less money available in the future, we are just going to have to consolidate. Despite MR. GALLO'S best efforts, we are going to have CHARTER SCHOOL expansion so that means fewer dollars for LPS.

      Delete
  2. Since its inception in 2002, the Hardscrabble Education Fund has awarded more than $730,000 to Lynn Public Schools. This $200,000 is not a new grant the schools are receiving. Who applied in past? What is the total amount the Lynn schools received from grants this year? Is Title I, II, and III being fully used now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good questions and actually help illustrate my point. I believe the HARDSCRABBLE grants are written by OTHER professionals in the LPS system. I feel this article was written to try and justify the position, a little financial slight-of-hand.

    ReplyDelete