Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Not That Capano

Summer is almost here, school is almost out. Are we at the WATCH turning over a new leaf? Has the WATCH become a kinder, gentler blog? Maybe the bouncing e mails have softened my analysis.

I pose these questions in light of my recent flurry of positive articles. Okay, not all of them but a recovery is a work in progress. I still might be a little LAME.

Recently I commented on LSC member Rick Starbard's Facebook page, saying positive things in response to his posting of Lynn City Councilman Pete Capano's fundraiser. My positive comments somewhat shocked Rick. I guess he thougt I was anti- everybody.

Look at the back issues of my blog (really, it will help my numbers), I have always been pro-student and pro-parent. I don't think I have ever said anything bad about a teacher. I've even said good things about Councilmen Creighton and the majority of things I have said about Councilman Phelan have been positive.

Now it is Councilman Capano's turn. First I would like to thank him for his interest in education and the realization that in his position in city government he plays an important role in our progress going forward. Specifically, he personally called me personally during the whole "Coach K" fiasco and while his interest did not affect the ultimate outcome, it did reflect a concern about the justice of the situation. All of the Councilmen were made aware of what was going on, only  he called me asking questions.

Also I know from my daughter's involvement with North Shore Community College's Student Leadership Ambassador Program that he, along with Councilmen Collucci, Crowley, and Creighton met with member's of the middle school students from that group and with the support of Council President Phelan agreed to offer their support for the establishment of a Lynn Youth Council to give a voice to our younger citizen's concerns. Councilman Capano's level of commitment deserves to be rewarded.

Does all of this sunshine and gobbledygook mean that I have suddenly turned soft? Not on your life. It does however show, that if you do the right things, I will be your friend. I know what you're thinking, "With friends like you,...." Still, would you rather I be your enemy from the get go?

No comments:

Post a Comment