Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

What I Like About Charter Schools

I actually wrote this over a week ago but with all the chaos over Coach K I was too busy to  get it out there. Now I just want to clear the deck before the meeting tonight. It should be interesting,

Wait a minute. I have not gone over to the dark side. My major and  unyielding objection to charter schools is the funding mechanism. Using public money to benefit a few already wealthy business men while promoting the illusion that a few economically disadvantaged people would be able to receive a "prestigious" education.

But.....Let's give the devil their due. Illusion or not, you have to respect the seriousness that is brought to the education process. Education is important. It liberates us and provides a path out of poverty, both financial and social. The self-discipline learned will stay with the student a lifetime.

That is enough to almost convince me to jump sides. Almost, I said. The same opportunity for creative solutions to educational approaches exists in the public sector. As I understand them and I'm no expert in these matters, but I think that two possible solutions exist in the public sector, Horace Mann charter schools and Innovation schools.

Revere secured the first "Innovation" school in the state, The principal of that school was Ms. Barbara Kelley, one year removed from a vice-principal position at Ford School. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Under Mass state law, “innovation” schools can override existing union contracts if two-thirds of the teachers agree. Charter schools are an interim requirement in cities with low nonperforming schools and will be replaced by innovation schools eventually. It is the vision of the Paul Revere Innovation School that these in-district public schools authorized by the School Committee and lead by a Board of Directors can operate like charter schools with increased autonomy with regard to curriculum, staffing, professional development, school schedule, budget, and district policies. It is Revere's belief that successful in-district innovation schools will reduce the need for additional charter schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Mary Ellen. I hope enough people read and understand this.

    ReplyDelete