Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

John Ford Fails To Score Goal For Lynn Youth Soccer

Mr. Ford clearly seemed disappointed when the rest of the LSC didn't quickly approve the free use of Breed Middle School gym for Lynn Youth Soccer's winter season. In the past a gentlemen's agreement between the two organizations had been sufficent for doing busines. LYS took care of the upkeep of Hood field during the spring, summer, and fall then got the use of Breed's gym for their winter season.

As a parent of two 12 year olds I can tell you that soccer is the cheapest of all the extracurricular activities. Legal ones that is. Anything that harms LYS, harms a lot of our youth.

However with the new rental fee schedule coming into play, it appears that agreement no longer applies. A few of the members of the LSC brought up the discussion and vote about the rental fees at the last meeting. Kevin McHugh added that he is getting all of these bills from the Department of Public Works.

Anyway the mood of the LSC wasn't to charitable. The best deal that Mr. Ford could salvage was allow LYS the use of the building for "free" but that LYS would be responsible for custodial fees. Hmmm, I wonder if LYS is going to start charging landscaping fees. Like I always say, "Are you prepared to live with the consequences of your decision?".

4 comments:

  1. Believe me, it is not that the Lynn School Committee is opposed to Lynn Youth Soccer. There are costs involved to LYS and many other worthwhile organizations that do much good for the youth of our city when school facilities are used and we need to make sure that what we do is uniform across the board. Baseball leagues use the LVTI field house for spring tryouts because of the cold temperatures at that time of year. AAU basketball gets many of our kids off the street and in the gym and they too need to use gym space. While I am all for charging out of town organizations a fee that more than covers our costs, we need to make sure that we have clear-cut policies in place for all non-profit organizations that offer Lynn kids programs, sports and otherwise. I think that there was consensus that we do not wish to charge for use of space, but we should investigate the costs for custodial services and any other additional costs. If we decide to pass on those costs, then it should be passed on to all groups. If we however decide to absorb the costs for LYS, then I believe that we should also absorb the costs for Little League, AAU and the like. While I truly believe that entire Lynn School Committee wants to do what is best for these organizations, we also need to do it in a way that is financially responsible and equitable. This is only my opinion and I am only speaking for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, I knew you would have to comment on this story. All of the and the superintendent know of my blog but you are the only one with enough backbone to put yourself out there and offer an opinion. You are to be commended, no matter what your opinion is. My point is LYS serves probably the poorest group of kids and since soccer is the "World" sport, the parents of a loot of those kids who just came to this country are more comfortable with. I just think it supports a better home environment which translates into a better school environment. According to the superintendent, the new federal mandate places more responsibility on the schools for the total environment, I am just throwing that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan, I am not sure that I agree that the poorest kids are served by LYS. I think that all youth groups in Lynn, maybe with the exception of golf and tennis, serve every demographic of Lynn and I would like to see that they all have equal access to Lynn school facilities. This is coming from the guy that started the Dominican Downhill Team by taking a bunch of Tech kids skiing over 10 years ago, and 10 years later some of those kids still ski with us, not to mention that they kick my butt in golf too. What do you think my chances are of getting the city to invest in snow making equipment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick, I am an expert on falling, not skiing. It seems to me that city hall ought to have some extra equipment from where the politicians are always trying to snow the citizens. But you would be better advised to try and get the city to spring for some protective equipment for your butt. seriously I was impressed by your story. Keep up the good work.

    I have no statistics on the demographic LY serves. I only know as a parent, it is the cheapest sport my kids were ever involved in. Don't get me started on the cost of karate.

    ReplyDelete