Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Standards For Standard Uniforms

There is no doubt that school uniforms is a volatile subject and convincing arguments can be made on both sides of the discussion. Some  research gives a school uniform policy credit for lessening behavioral problems, particularly in elementary school settings. A loud outcry can be heard from the"freedom of expression" camp.

It has been a few days since the LSC meeting and I do have a hard time reading my notes(you think I type bad, you ought to check out my penmanship). As best as I can recollect, attorney Mihos laid out the following criteria for a successful and legal :uniform policy:

                          1). must be VOLUNTARY
                          2). need some kind of subsidy to defray costs
                          3). ability to OPT-OUT
                          4). need parental involvement/support

I've stated my position. Let the debate begin! better make that, continue.

By the way, Lawrence does it.

3 comments:

  1. My intuition tells me uniforms are a good choice, at least for elementary and middle schools. I love fashion and expressing myself with clothing. But I love learning more. Lynn has such a flare for individualism, I do wonder how this conformity would effect the youth's psychological development. I just feel helping the youth know the true value of developing their intellect is a school's greatest responsibility. But could this attire conformity really create an improved learning environment in a big city like Lynn? Could it help the many families in which public education is still a new experience? Would it diminish the spirit of a school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like they say on The Food Network, "It's all about presentation". I am not talking about one uniform for every school in Lynn but instead different ones for every school. Maybe keep the pants a standard khaki but have the shirts be different colors (the school's colors) and place the school's logo on the shirt. Each school could run a contest for the design of the logo that way kids could have a chance to express themselves while at the same time feel they have some investment in the decision. You are right in my opinion about questioning whether or not high school kids would buy into it, especially noy starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be a good example of a person who has worn a uniform in childhood to teen years (from 1st to 12th grade), and (I guess) am a very free spirited individual... from what people tell me :)

    ReplyDelete