Search This Blog

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Political Persuasions

Because of my strong convictions about what I feel was an unjust and personal attack on a friend who was victimized by what I feel was a personal and political attack. Below is a variation of the letter I am sending  to the governor and various political and educational officials who's e mail addresses I can find.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing this letter to express my outrage that the Special Education teacher, Mr. Karonis was fired from Ford Elementary school undue cause without any concern for the emotional or psychological welfare of the students, not to mention their potential for academic progress.

Since the beginning of the school year I have been serving as the school’s volunteer librarian adjacent to his classroom. During that time I have witnessed a remarkable transformation in the overall behavioral complacency. Teacher - student bonds developed that are impossible to recreate in a timely manner, especially considering this disruption occurred during the holiday season.

“Coach K” as he was respectively and affectionately referred to by his students, co-workers, and me, will be sorely missed and will be nearly impossible to replace with someone of equal caliber. His experience gives him incredible credentials.

My varied experiences have allowed me to have an informed opinion about the educational injustice that occurred. In the past I have taught and served in various roles at an adolescent treatment center for seven years  Elkins Mountain School in Elkins, WV. Also, I worked for fifteen years for the Department of Developmental Services with mentally retarded adults with behavioral issues. However, what substantiates and qualifies my opinion most is that I am the father of a twelve year-old special needs student who was a student last year at Ford School. He has had a very successful year this year transitioning into Pickering Middle School.

Because of my deep convictions I not only wanted to speak up for “Coach K” and offer my testimony to any more specific questions you may have. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Stanley H. Wotring, Jr.





Now I have a question that maybe someone out there with good math skills could answer the equation: the power of the pen plus the Internet equals what?

2 comments:

  1. equals freedom- of press.

    What a shame. I feel terrible for Mr. Karonis, and for those at the Ford School who have been the targeted by an irrational person. I knew of the conflicts long before you mentioned them (so you don't receive the blame)... who doesn't know of the ill behavior of whats going on? For the goodness sake of the Lynn schools, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katerina for kind words. I don't worry about the blame. I am not divulging any state secrets or any other confidential information. I am just a volunteer librarian who is also a parent who sees things. Irrational people have little power over me. I bet those same people wish now they had funded the librarians now because I would have been off in some daisy covered field writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete