Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Letter To Dr. Latham About My Offer To Help With The Library's Losses

Dear Dr. Latham,Due to these pressing economic times, I understand you not able to fund the librarians at any but the Level 4 elementary schools. I share with you the heartfelt loss that goes along with seeing the thirsty young minds deprived of life enriching knowledge.

As you know, I expressed my views on this loss at  the public hearing on the upcoming years school budget. Metaphorically speaking, it now is time for me to "Put up or shut up". Because of my worsening arthritis, I am retiring from my job with DDS (formerly DMR). This will allow me the time to serve as Ford School's volunteer librarian.

My own kids have moved on to middle school but I can not in good conscience ignore such a vital need and feel compelled to assist in this capacity. While I am by no means an expert in library science, I have had some experience in this area. Not only did I work in the library as my work study in college, I ran the library for a time probably twenty years ago when I worked at the Elkins Mountain School, a residential behavioral treatment center.

I have discussed my offer with Dr. Crane and while she seems to concur that restored school librarians would be ideal but since that appears unlikely, then in their absence my help would be welcome.

I look forward to joining you in the fight to provide quality education to eager young minds.

Sincerely,
Stanley H. Wotring, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment