Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Checking Out Our Future!

As I have mentioned earlier on this blog, I am serving as a volunteer librarian at the Ford Elementary School. In various LSC meetings including the public hearing on the budget I strongly advocated for the funding of all the elementary school librarians. I lost that battle with the powers that be.

Funny though the librarians were not only restored at the two Level 4 elementary schools, the libraries seem to be at the core of their respective Turnaround Plans. Is that an admission of the crucial importance and value of the libraries?

So far we have only got to run through about half a dozen classes through between everybody settling in, my medical issues, and the fact my kids are at Marshall and Pickering. Watching the excitement of the first graders bubble over as they clutch their book like a holy relic or a lost treasure chest. Their book, a golden key they will use to unlock the future.

Witnessing this joy is a great reward to me but it makes me wonder who could see this and still say they can't find money for librarians?

No comments:

Post a Comment