Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2015

IS AN INDEPENDENT SPED DEAD?

The agendas out for the upcoming meeting on THURS., the only full meeting this month and one of only two left for 2015,  November 12 | 6:30 PM.

I look down to Item VII C, "Reorganization Proposal" and I see opportunity. Okay I only see what you see, a vast vagueness that doesn't even hint at the suggestion of the topic. Of course I can't see well anyway with the multitude of visual problems I have. However I still do have some nasal senses left and I smell shenanigans.  

If forced, I might even volunteer to hazard a guess. What do you want to bet that the REORGANIZATION to occur happens in the SPED department? We have been operating with only an acting DIRECTOR since AUGUST.


The PROPOSED reorganization is probably be away around any DOCTORAL requirement for the position. The current ACTING DIRECTOR does not have that level of education. Now I like JESSICA, a long-time SPED ADMINISTRATOR. The PAC seems to be continuing to blossom under her temporary leadership. I might even go so far as to say it might be okay to do some to allow her to stay in that position.

But therein lies the problem. Now I have heard a couple things. I need to read the POLICY book sometime. I've heard that the DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL ED is one of the FEW positions that the LSC actually has hiring authority over. If that is untrue my argument would go in a totally different direction. Any ceding of that ability to the SUPERINTENDENT, including through "Reorganization" would be troubling, giving more power to an already powerful and largely independent  position. Loss of oversight guarantees blindness to possible and potential corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment