Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I DO BELIEVE, A NERVE I DOTH STRUCK

That's okay, it's what I do. You see it all started with a little post I had

LOTTERY LETDOWN

I just pointed out a couple facts -

The current CEO of the ITEM used to run the lottery. I wasn't the one who complained about the distribution of proceeds. I was pretty sure they followed a formula like there is a formula for NET SCHOOL SPENDING for example.

Since we are talking MATH, I am sure there is some ALGORITHM somewhere for predicting future behavior based on past history. Notice I said PREDICT, not a STATEMENT OF FACT.

I do not know anything about the leader of the actual ITEM'S journalistic skills. They must be better than mine, she got the job and nobody even asked me to park cars. Ethics? I'm sure she has them even if they are necessarily shaped by personal experiences (Now, don't jump down my throat, I am talking philosophically not specifically).

In an attempt to be FAIR (Imagine that from me?) I am printing BETH'S response below to the above story:


Beth Bresnahan The lottery has no say in how UGGA, which is primarily comprised of lottery net profit, is distributed to cities and towns. The total amount allocated to local aid is set through the state budget process each FY and distributed according to a formula that DOR oversees. So if there's a local official who feels the city is not getting adequate funding, he or she should lobby the state delegation to a) return more lottery profit to UGGA (as it was intended when the lottery was created 44 years ago) and not sent to the General Fund, and b) to find a better/more equitable formula to determine how much each community receives. Also, to insinuate that I would not allow the paper to cover anyone with criticism (even if/when misdirected) is flat out wrong.

I am glad to have her on record as to declaring her objectivity. It does my heart good. Still though, let's be honest. It's not like she really has a choice. There are laws about election coverage and stuff. I THINK (again not a statement of fact) COLLUCCI doesn't care because he thinks he's unbeatable. Not to mention he is a pretty straight forward guy who shoots from the hip. I think I know someone like that.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know much about the distribution of lottery net profits, except that Beth of course is correct. Lottery revenues are distributed to cities and towns according to a local aid formula established by Legislature. I also believe cities and towns can choose how they want to spend the funds. I agree with Beth that if Rich, or any other local official, does not agree with the distribution process, he or she should contact the state. The same is true for the Mayor, who continues to express her disagreement with the state regarding what costs can and cannot be counted toward net school spending. I have known Beth for many years. If Rich Collucci or anyone else for that matter, submits a commentary to the Item regarding this matter, I am confident she would not prevent it from being published.

    It would be interesting to know just how much money Lynn did in fact receive from the Lottery profits last year and how city officials chose to spend that money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD QUESTIONS! Maybe the paper should do some investigative journalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I read $19 million somewhere, but maybe I am wrong.

      Delete
    2. No matter how much, it would be nice to know what went where!

      Delete